-   -   HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/44742-highpoint-gpl-licensed-controller-wants-includeindebian-distribution.html)

'maximilian attems' 02-01-2008 03:16 PM

HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution

Hello May!

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:38:03AM -0800, May Hwang wrote:

> Thanks for the update. So this etch-n-half is the next Debian release, which
> already have HighPoint driver included? When etch-n-half will official hit
> the market?

etch-n-half is the planed Linux kernel upgrade for the Etch Debian
distribution, roughly after 1/2 of it's lifetime, for more info on it
see http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

there is no hard date out yet, but you get an educated guess from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00217.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00697.html
(due to beta1 debian-installer and etch+half coupling)

> Best Regards,
>
> May Hwang

happy weekend.

--
maks

'maximilian attems' 02-01-2008 03:16 PM

HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution

Hello May!

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:38:03AM -0800, May Hwang wrote:

> Thanks for the update. So this etch-n-half is the next Debian release, which
> already have HighPoint driver included? When etch-n-half will official hit
> the market?

etch-n-half is the planed Linux kernel upgrade for the Etch Debian
distribution, roughly after 1/2 of it's lifetime, for more info on it
see http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

there is no hard date out yet, but you get an educated guess from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00217.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00697.html
(due to beta1 debian-installer and etch+half coupling)

> Best Regards,
>
> May Hwang

happy weekend.

--
maks

"May Hwang" 02-01-2008 03:31 PM

HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution

Dear Maks,

Thanks! Is this the first time you head about HighPoint? We used to only
offer Cost effective RAID controller or if refer to Linux community these
are the Fake RAID category.

My SI customer suggest we should educate Linux distributions or ask advice
from Linux distribution developer where can we update our hardware RAID
product information, it kind of letting Linux community knows HighPoint
products now its GPL licensed and it is hardware RAID controller.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,

May Hwang

HighPoint Technologies,Inc.

Tel:408-240-6118/6112
Fax-408-942-5800

www.highpoint-tech.com
www.hptmac.com

Distribution Partners: ASI, BellMicro, D&H, Malabs
"RocketRAID - Terabyte Storage Technologies"

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:38:03AM -0800, May Hwang wrote:

> Thanks for the update. So this etch-n-half is the next Debian release,
which
> already have HighPoint driver included? When etch-n-half will official hit
> the market?

etch-n-half is the planed Linux kernel upgrade for the Etch Debian
distribution, roughly after 1/2 of it's lifetime, for more info on it
see http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

there is no hard date out yet, but you get an educated guess from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00217.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00697.html
(due to beta1 debian-installer and etch+half coupling)

> Best Regards,
>
> May Hwang

happy weekend.

--
maks

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:38:03AM -0800, May Hwang wrote:

> Thanks for the update. So this etch-n-half is the next Debian release,
which
> already have HighPoint driver included? When etch-n-half will official hit
> the market?

etch-n-half is the planed Linux kernel upgrade for the Etch Debian
distribution, roughly after 1/2 of it's lifetime, for more info on it
see http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

there is no hard date out yet, but you get an educated guess from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00217.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/01/msg00697.html
(due to beta1 debian-installer and etch+half coupling)

> Best Regards,
>
> May Hwang

happy weekend.

--
maks

'maximilian attems' 02-01-2008 03:47 PM

HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution

hello May,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:31:29AM -0800, May Hwang wrote:

> Thanks! Is this the first time you head about HighPoint? We used to only
> offer Cost effective RAID controller or if refer to Linux community these
> are the Fake RAID category.

not the first time,
i had followed the hptiop submission upstream for the 2.6.18 time
frame, but yes i haven't encountered the hardware directly.

> My SI customer suggest we should educate Linux distributions or ask advice
> from Linux distribution developer where can we update our hardware RAID
> product information, it kind of letting Linux community knows HighPoint
> products now its GPL licensed and it is hardware RAID controller.
>
> Any ideas?

you seem to have already generated quite some good press on the most
important German tech press.

dell has a community centre where customers can generated input,
try to consider such. the dell idea storm cite generated quite
some participation also people where very happy that they got
listened to so new laptop models coming out with Linux.

otherwise a tech show off of the capabilities of your product
in terms of performance benchmarks, power efficiency (powertop)

your worst defficiency currently seems that a quick top ten
google of "highpoint gpl" doesn't direct me anywhere near to
a cool site of yours. also "highpoint linux" lands on a faq
as top one that is quite terse.

hope that helps.

> Best Regards,
>
> May Hwang

good success + warm greetings of cold vienna

--
maks

'maximilian attems' 02-01-2008 03:47 PM

maximilian attems 02-01-2008 04:36 PM

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:29:48PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 01 février 2008 à 07:38 -0800, May Hwang a écrit :
> > Dear Maks,
> >
> > Thanks for the update. So this etch-n-half is the next Debian release, which
> > already have HighPoint driver included? When etch-n-half will official hit
> > the market?
>
> This release will include whatever has been included in the upstream
> kernel at version 2.6.24. AIUI, if your driver has been included only in
> the 2.6.25 branch, it will probably not be included.

indeed 2.6.24 Debian deviates only slightly from upstream,
some added patches, GPL enforcement, but we always consider driver
backports to our stable kernel and have a history to do such.

also joss is not a member of the etch+half pushing teams
aka the debian kernel, installer and security teams.

so be assured that your latest driver landed.
i haven't heard yet from you May that you would test our
tomorrows snapshot sid builds next week?

bon weekend again

--
maks

maximilian attems 02-01-2008 04:36 PM

"May Hwang" 02-01-2008 04:58 PM

HighPoint- GPL Licensed Controller wants To be IncludeInDebian Distribution

Dear Mak,

I have communicated your suggestion to corresponding departments, we will
update our FAQ and check out dell idea storm cite as well.

Thanks for being so helpful for HighPoint, appreciated everyone's valuable
advice.