Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Christian PERRIER

Default Debian Installer 6.0 Beta1 release

Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo@debian.org):
> On 10/31/2010 03:00 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
> > release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
>
> Great, thanks for the huge work.
>
> I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this

No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309

Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo@debian.org):
>> On 10/31/2010 03:00 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
>> > release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
>>
>> Great, thanks for the huge work.
>>
>> I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
>
> No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309

There will be an IRC meeting this Wednesday, dedicated to the
installer. Any chance that WPA issue will be discussed and resolved at
last?

Thanks in advance to all participants!

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Mark Goldshtein]
> There will be an IRC meeting this Wednesday, dedicated to the
> installer. Any chance that WPA issue will be discussed and resolved at
> last?
>
> Thanks in advance to all participants!

If someone show up to discuss it and do the work, the chances rises.
If no-one does, they stay very slim.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Julien Cristau

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 19:45:19 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo@debian.org):
> >>
> >> Great, thanks for the huge work.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
> >
> > No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309
>
> There will be an IRC meeting this Wednesday, dedicated to the
> installer. Any chance that WPA issue will be discussed and resolved at
> last?

It doesn't sound like discussion is what's needed here.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Miguel Figueiredo

Hi,

A Segunda 01 Novembro 2010 16:45:19 Mark Goldshtein vocÍ escreveu:

> There will be an IRC meeting this Wednesday, dedicated to the
> installer. Any chance that WPA issue will be discussed and resolved at
> last?

Actually it was discussed in the last meeting [1] (again?).
It was agreed to post-squeeze as there's no code in d-i to support WPA/WPA2
...if someone steps up with patches.

1 - http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-boot/2010/debian-
boot.2010-10-20-21.02.html

--
Melhores cumprimentos/Best regards,

Miguel Figueiredo
http://www.DebianPT.org

Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Hi!

Am 01.11.2010 13:51, schrieb Christian PERRIER:

>>> The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
>>> release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
[..]
>> I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
> No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309

Are there some guidelines on how to test this patch?

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Harald Jenny

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 10:15:01AM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!

> [..]
> >> I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
> > No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309
>
> Are there some guidelines on how to test this patch?

Patch does not apply cleanly to netcfg's newest version (at least not for me)
- currently working on a new patch and a wpa_supplicant udeb (just for testing
right now). "Testing" will be done on amd64 with WPA2-PSK and hidden ssid.

> Best regards,
> Alexander

Kind regards
Harald Jenny

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Kel Modderman

On Monday 01 November 2010 22:51:36 Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo@debian.org):
> > On 10/31/2010 03:00 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
> > > release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
> >
> > Great, thanks for the huge work.
> >
> > I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
>
> No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309

For this approach to be achieved cleanly, upstream wpa_supplicant authour
would need to provide wpa_ctrl interface as a shared library so that we are
not using a copy of that stuff. In it's current state, if I were a
debian-installer maintainer, I wouldn't be thrilled to accept a clone of
file(s) which already exists (in some version or another) in some other
source package in the archive.

I've asked wpa_supplicant upstream about it just now, will see what he reckons.

I am interested in helping debian's installer gain support for better wireless
networking, however there is much to learn about debian-installer itself to get
started and I currently struggle to allocate time to existing Debian
commitments. I tried to help answer Glenn Saberton's questions at the time he
was busy on this stuff, but failed to help with anything more substantial

Other components of Debian's wireless networking stack are missing too: crda
and wireless-regdb. These may need to be integrated into debian-installer in
the future too. So it seems that Debian's wireless networking stack is
not keeping up close with upstream changes, and I am the first point of
failure in this regard. pkg-wpa team understaffed, help needed etc etc.

Thanks, Kel.