Old 02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hendrik Sattler

Default Fwd: ITP: latencytop -- A tool for developers to visualize system latencies

Quoting Fathi BOUDRA <fabo@debian.org>:

* Package name : latencytop
Version : 0.3
Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
* License : GPL-2
Description : A tool for developers to visualize system latencies

LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
hiccups.

short description: tool for developers to visualize system latencies

Or just "visualize system latencies".

HS

Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Fathi BOUDRA (fabo@debian.org):
> > * Package name : latencytop
> > Version : 0.3
> > Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
> > * License : GPL-2
> > Description : A tool for developers to visualize system latencies
> >
> > LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> > userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
> > kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
> > this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
> > hiccups.
>
> short description: tool for developers to visualize system latencies

I'd even suggest:

system latencies visualization tool

"for developers" does not seem really relevant here.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Steve Langasek

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:13:38PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> > > userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
> > > kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
> > > this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
> > > hiccups.

> > short description: tool for developers to visualize system latencies

> I'd even suggest:

> system latencies visualization tool

This doesn't scan right to me. "system latency visualization tool" would be
ok, but I think "tool for system latency visualization" or "tool for
visualizing system latencies" would be better.

> "for developers" does not seem really relevant here.

If it's a tool targeted at developers, I don't think it's inappropriate to
mention in the short description (space allowing).

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Mike Hommey

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:17:11PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > * Package name : latencytop
> > Version : 0.3
> > Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
> > * License : GPL-2
> > Description : A tool for developers to visualize system latencies
> >
> > LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> > userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
> > kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
> > this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
> > hiccups.
>
> I wonder if this tool should be packaged separately, or if it would be
> more logical to just package it together with powertop. After all, they
> are fairly similar in purpose and have the same upstream author.

I wonder if this tool will ben any useful, considering it requires a
patched kernel.

Mike