Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Fathi BOUDRA

Default Fwd: ITP: latencytop -- A tool for developers to visualize system latencies

> * Package name : latencytop
> Version : 0.3
> Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
> * License : GPL-2
> Description : A tool for developers to visualize system latencies
>
> LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
> kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
> this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
> hiccups.

short description: tool for developers to visualize system latencies

See Developers Reference, 6.2.2

cheers,

Fathi

Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Frans Pop

> * Package name : latencytop
> Version : 0.3
> Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
> * License : GPL-2
> Description : A tool for developers to visualize system latencies
>
> LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and what
> kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By identifying
> this, developers can then change the code to avoid the worst latency
> hiccups.

I wonder if this tool should be packaged separately, or if it would be
more logical to just package it together with powertop. After all, they
are fairly similar in purpose and have the same upstream author.

Cheers,
FJP

Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Frans Pop

(CCing the BR.)

On Friday 01 February 2008, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:17:11PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > * Package name : latencytop
> > > Version : 0.3
> > > Upstream Author : Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
> > > * License : GPL-2
> > > Description : A tool for developers to visualize system
> > > latencies
> > >
> > > LatencyTOP is a Linux tool for software developers (both kernel and
> > > userspace), aimed at identifying where system latency occurs, and
> > > what kind of operation/action is causing the latency to happen. By
> > > identifying this, developers can then change the code to avoid the
> > > worst latency hiccups.
> >
> > I wonder if this tool should be packaged separately, or if it would be
> > more logical to just package it together with powertop. After all, they
> > are fairly similar in purpose and have the same upstream author.
>
> I wonder if this tool will ben any useful, considering it requires a
> patched kernel.

Patches have already been included in 2.6.25, so it may require enabling an
kernel config option, but will not require patching the kernel.