Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Default changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Should, I file a lenny release goal first and wait for it's approval, or
> can I take this thread as consensus that I can pursue changing the
> default system-log-daemon to rsyslog?

Go ahead and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Holger Levsen

Hi Michael,

On Thursday 31 January 2008 00:11, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > - Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work
> I'm here and all ears. I'm willing to work on the necessary steps.

> Ok, here we go...

I just wish to say a big thanks to you for all the work you've already done on
this. You rock!

> > - Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes

I guess I c+should at least take over this one ;-)

regards,
Holger

Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Guillem Jover

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 05:30:47 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 00:11:44 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > > For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
> > > snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/
> >
> > Can we please use /etc/syslog.d/ instead? this way we don't get locked
> > in any specific implementation. I'm preparing a patch for
> > inetutils-syslogd to support that, and it might also make sense to
> > require all system-log-daemon providers to support that dir as well.
>
> I'd rather not do that. There is no common config file format, that all
> sylog daemons understand. E.g. you can't mix syslog-ng configuration
> with metalog or rsyslog. The additional functionality of rsyslog is
> implemented via special directives, which other syslog daemons won't
> understand. So, I don't think this is a good idea.

I've just checked a bit and sysklogd, inetutils-syslogd and rsyslog
understand the standard syslog.conf format. rsyslog has additional
directives, but IMO those should not be used by third party packages
that would drop config snippets under /etc/syslog.d/. rsyslog could of
course read configs from syslog.d and rsyslog.d, and admins could
install those under /etc/rsyslog.d/ or edit /etc/rsyslog.conf to make
use of those additional features.

The only daemons not understanding the standard format are syslog-ng,
socklog, and metalog (which is not even on the distro).

My concern is making packages explicitely dependant on rsyslog, when
they could be generic, making it difficult for admins to switch
syslogd and also any future transition to another syslogd.

regards,
guillem

Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Michael Biebl

Michael Biebl wrote:
> Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
>
>> [Michael Biebl]
>>> That's mostly because of lots of documentation in
>>> /usr/share/doc/rsyslog. If you think that's an issue, I could split
>>> out the doc into a separate package.
>> This is probably a good idea, for those that need a very small disk
>> footprint. Please split it into a -doc package.
>>

> Ok, will do. Thanks for the feedback!

Done. I've split out the html documentation and now rsyslog weighs
258kb. It's currently waiting in NEW.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Tollef Fog Heen

* William Pitcock

| I agree with this. Additionally, Balasz Schielder (Balabit) makes people
| who contribute to syslog-ng sign a contributory license agreement [1],
| so that they can be included in syslog-ng premium, which is in my view
| against the whole purpose of open source. If you disagree with signing
| the CLA, your patch is rejected. As such, I feel that syslog-ng is not a
| good choice for the default syslogd in Debian.

FWIW, if you want your patch to end up in any Apache project, you have
to sign their contributor licence agreement. Similarly, for GNU
software, you have to assign copyright to FSF.

The syslog-ng author putting the changes into a closed-source version
(if I understand the paragraph quoted correctly), which is fine as
long as the licence allows it. You might not think it's in the spirit
of free software, but it's certainly something one of the arguments
some people are using to get people to use the BSD licence in favour
of the GPL.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

> rsyslog could of
> course read configs from syslog.d and rsyslog.d, and admins could
> install those under /etc/rsyslog.d/ or edit /etc/rsyslog.conf to make
> use of those additional features.

This would also be a way to solve #311812.

Cheers,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz