Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
"Leo "costela" Antunes"

Default Automatic mirror selection

Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Besides that I'm interested in how your script works at DNS level and if it
> wouldn't be more suitable to just setup a server with BIND + GeoDNS[1].

That's exactly the idea, but I chose to use pdns-backend-pipe +
libgeo-perl, so that I could grep the Mirrors.masterlist file for info
on our mirrors and use other methods of prioritizing aside from just
geolocation, namely the type of mirror, architectures available and the
domain name of the mirror (assuming that mirrors that got promoted to
ftp.*.debian.org are somehow better than the rest).

Check the announce I just made[0] and the git repo for the script[1] for
more info.
Feel free to send any feedback.

Cheers

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/124340
[1] git://git.debian.org/~costela/mirror_picker.git

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]