Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Andreas Tille

Default python-apt documentation?

Hi,

I have some trouble to find a documentation about python-apt. I'm
specifically seeking some information how I could specify some
defined sources.list for apt_pkg.GetCache() because I need to
write a script that always uses unstable distribution as target
distribution. The background is that we want to build dynamic
web pages about the progress of Debian-Med as for instance can
be seen here [1] in the imaging section of Debian-Med. This
page is generated by a script written by David Palaino which is
available at Alioth [2] and uses the apt_pkg.GetCache() function.
I found out that it is obviousely using the local sources.list
entries for obtaining the avialable package list, because
several packages that are available in testing / unstable are
missing and if I run the same script at home they appear on the
output pages created by the script.

If there would be some useful documentation of the python-apt
API I would be able to fix this problem but I failed in seeking
any helpful hint.

Kind regards and thanks for any help

Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging.php
[2] /var/lib/gforge/chroot/home/groups/debian-med/scripts/update-tasks

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:16:42PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I have some trouble to find a documentation about python-apt. I'm

No answer to this ...

> missing and if I run the same script at home they appear on the
> output pages created by the script.

... but just in case you're interested here is an alternative solution
I'm using for similar needs: a cron job downloading the needed
Sources/Packages file + python-debian which knows how to parse whatever
RFC822 format we use in Debian. See examples under
/usr/share/doc/python-debian/examples/deb822/ if you are interested.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? / All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema / right keys at the right time