Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Harald Jenny

Default Richard A Nelson (Rick) MIA

Dear list,

I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
other software.

Thanks for your help
Harald Jenny

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

[ adding MIA to Cc, for further inquiries, and the maintainer himself ]

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
> I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
> the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
> lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
> package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
> with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
> If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
> they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
> other software.

Dear Harald, you don't need to wait for any specific authorization to
prepare an NMU. You can do that right ahead by following the guidelines
detailed in the Developer's Reference at
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu . In
particular, the guidelines will tell you the appropriate DELAYED/XX
queues to use depending on bug severity and age your NMU will fix.

Of course, if you're not a Debian Developer, you'll then need someone to
sponsor your upload.

Once the upload is done, you can then get in touch with the release team
to check whether they'd be willing to unblock the package and have it
into Squeeze, as we're currently in freeze (and as apparently no
sendmail bug is currently marked as RC).

Cheers.

Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere
ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams

Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Richard A Nelson

On 09/27/2010 10:14 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
>> I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
>> the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
>> lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
>> package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
>> with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
>> If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
>> they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
>> other software.

I have indeed been MIA, working though back-to-back product releases - and now
have some breathing room before it all starts over again.

I had an upload of sendmail 8.14.4 all ready to go, but got bitten by DB 4.8
changes that completely broke sendmail (and a few other apps), and now there's
been a NMU or two that I have to refit and re-check DB 4.7 vs 4.8.

However, since we're now frozen, I'm not sure if a new version is going to be
accepted. As I recall, upstream did not use the suggested patch verbatim, so
any updates to 8.14.3 should check against 8.14.4.

I'll get 8.14.4 into unstable in the next day or so, but what happens to
'stable' is likely going to be a policy/RM call.

Here's the upstream changelog which shows several important fixes - with the
most important (IMNSHO) being:
* The Security (top) entry
* Host lookup crash
* Several milter issues

8.14.4/8.14.4 2009/12/30
SECURITY: Handle bogus certificates containing NUL characters
in CNs by placing a string indicating a bad certificate
in the {cn_subject} or {cn_issuer} macro. Patch inspired
by Matthias Andree's changes for fetchmail.
During the generation of a queue identifier an integer overflow
could occur which might result in bogus characters
being used. Based on patch from John Vannoy of
Pepperdine University.
The value of headers, e.g., Precedence, Content-Type, et.al.,
was not processed correctly. Patch from Per Hedeland.
Between 8.11.7 and 8.12.0 the length limitation on a return
path was erroneously reduced from MAXNAME (256) to
MAXSHORTSTR (203). Patch from John Gardiner Myers
of Proofpoint; the problem was also noted by Steve
Hubert of University of Washington.
Prevent a crash when a hostname lookup returns a seemingly
valid result which contains a NULL pointer (this seems
to be happening on some Linux versions).
The process title was missing the current load average when
the MTA was delaying connections due to DelayLA.
Patch from Dick St.Peters of NetHeaven.
Do not reset the number of queue entries in shared memory if
only some of them are processed.
Fix overflow of an internal array when parsing some replies
from a milter. Problem found by Scott Rotondo
of Sun Microsystems.
If STARTTLS is turned off in the server (via M=S) then it
would not be initialized for use in the client either.
Patch from Kazuteru Okahashi of IIJ.
If a Diffie-Hellman cipher is selected for STARTTLS, the
handshake could fail with some TLS implementations
because the prime used by the server is not long enough.
Note: the initialization of the DSA/DH parameters for
the server can take a significant amount of time on slow
machines. This can be turned off by setting DHParameters
to none or a file (see doc/op/op.me). Patch from
Petr Lampa of the Brno University of Technology.
Fix handling of `b' modifier for DaemonPortOptions on little
endian machines for loopback address. Patch from
John Beck of Sun Microsystems.
Fix a potential memory leak in libsmdb/smdb1.c found by parfait.
Based on patch from Jonathan Gray of OpenBSD.
If a milter sets the reply code to "421" during the transfer
of the body, the SMTP server will terminate the SMTP session
with that error to match the behavior of the other callbacks.
Return EX_IOERR (instead of 0) if a mail submission fails due to
missing disk space in the mail queue. Based on patch
from Martin Poole of RedHat.
CONFIG: Using FEATURE(`ldap_routing')'s `nodomain' argument would
cause addresses not found in LDAP to be misparsed.
CONFIG: Using a CN restriction did not work for TLS_Clt as it
referred to a wrong macro. Patch from John Gardiner
Myers of Proofpoint.
CONFIG: The option relaytofulladdress of FEATURE(`access_db')
did not work if FEATURE(`relay_hosts_only') is used too.
Problem noted by Kristian Shaw.
CONFIG: The internal function lower() was broken and hence
strcasecmp() did not work either, which could cause
problems for some FEATURE()s if upper case arguments
were used. Patch from Vesa-Matti J Kari of the
University of Helsinki.
LIBMILTER: Fix internal check whether a milter application
is compiled against the same version of libmilter as
it is linked against (especially useful for dynamic
libraries).
LIBMILTER: Fix memory leak that occurred when smfi_setsymlist()
was used. Based on patch by Dan Lukes.
LIBMILTER: Document the effect of SMFIP_HDR_LEADSPC for filters
which add, insert, or replace headers. From Benjamin
Pineau.
LIBMILTER: Fix error messages which refer to "select()" to be
correct if SM_CONF_POLL is used. Based on patch from
John Nemeth.
LIBSM: Fix handling of LDAP search failures where the error is
carried in the search result itself, such as seen with
OpenLDAP proxy servers.
VACATION: Do not refer to a local variable outside its scope.
Based on patch from Mark Costlow of Southwest Cyberport.
Portability:
Enable HAVE_NANOSLEEP for SunOS 5.11. Patch from
John Beck of Sun Microsystems.
Drop NISPLUS from default SunOS 5.11 map definitions.
Patch from John Beck of Sun Microsystems.

8.14.3/8.14.3 2008/05/03 ...

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Harald Jenny

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:14:45AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ adding MIA to Cc, for further inquiries, and the maintainer himself ]
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
> > I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
> > the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
> > lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
> > package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
> > with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
> > If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
> > they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
> > other software.
>
> Dear Harald,

Hi Stefano

> you don't need to wait for any specific authorization to
> prepare an NMU.

Well I personally find it impolite to prepare an NMU without prior getting in
touch with the maintainer...

> You can do that right ahead by following the guidelines
> detailed in the Developer's Reference at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu .

Thanks for the hint!

> In
> particular, the guidelines will tell you the appropriate DELAYED/XX
> queues to use depending on bug severity and age your NMU will fix.

Hmmm the bug lingers there a long time already and handicaps some other
software (including mine ;-) ).

> Of course, if you're not a Debian Developer, you'll then need someone to
> sponsor your upload.

Yes I'm not but I guess the time will come...

> Once the upload is done, you can then get in touch with the release team
> to check whether they'd be willing to unblock the package and have it
> into Squeeze, as we're currently in freeze (and as apparently no
> sendmail bug is currently marked as RC).

I know, I'm currently already in contact with the release team concerning
other packages - and concerning the RC bug: There is already a bug report but
I failed to make it RC :-/.

> Cheers.

Thanks and a nice day
Harald

Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Harald Jenny

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:30:59PM +0000, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On 09/27/2010 10:14 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
> >> I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
> >> the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
> >> lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
> >> package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
> >> with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
> >> If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
> >> they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
> >> other software.
>
> I have indeed been MIA, working though back-to-back product releases - and now
> have some breathing room before it all starts over again.
>
> I had an upload of sendmail 8.14.4 all ready to go, but got bitten by DB 4.8
> changes that completely broke sendmail (and a few other apps), and now there's
> been a NMU or two that I have to refit and re-check DB 4.7 vs 4.8.
>
> However, since we're now frozen, I'm not sure if a new version is going to be
> accepted. As I recall, upstream did not use the suggested patch verbatim, so
> any updates to 8.14.3 should check against 8.14.4.
>
> I'll get 8.14.4 into unstable in the next day or so, but what happens to
> 'stable' is likely going to be a policy/RM call.
>
> Here's the upstream changelog which shows several important fixes - with the
> most important (IMNSHO) being:
> * The Security (top) entry
> * Host lookup crash
> * Several milter issues

Ok I guess this make the NMU pointless :-).

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Holger Levsen

Hi Harald,

On Dienstag, 28. September 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
> > you don't need to wait for any specific authorization to
> > prepare an NMU.
> Well I personally find it impolite to prepare an NMU without prior getting
> in touch with the maintainer...

see below:

> > You can do that right ahead by following the guidelines
> > detailed in the Developer's Reference at
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu .
> Thanks for the hint!

if you follow these guidelines you do contact the maintainer before NMUing. So
the above is moot :-)

cheers,
Holger

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Harald Jenny

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:40:36AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Harald,

Hi Holger

> On Dienstag, 28. September 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
> > > you don't need to wait for any specific authorization to
> > > prepare an NMU.
> > Well I personally find it impolite to prepare an NMU without prior getting
> > in touch with the maintainer...
>
> see below:

Ok

> > > You can do that right ahead by following the guidelines
> > > detailed in the Developer's Reference at
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu .
> > Thanks for the hint!
>
> if you follow these guidelines you do contact the maintainer before NMUing. So
> the above is moot :-)

Well I'm new I still have to learn ;-)

> cheers,
> Holger

Kind regards
Harald

Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Harald Jenny

Hello Richard A Nelson,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:30:59PM +0000, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On 09/27/2010 10:14 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
> >> I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
> >> the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
> >> lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
> >> package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
> >> with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
> >> If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
> >> they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
> >> other software.
>
> I have indeed been MIA, working though back-to-back product releases - and now
> have some breathing room before it all starts over again.
>
> I had an upload of sendmail 8.14.4 all ready to go, but got bitten by DB 4.8
> changes that completely broke sendmail (and a few other apps), and now there's
> been a NMU or two that I have to refit and re-check DB 4.7 vs 4.8.
>
> However, since we're now frozen, I'm not sure if a new version is going to be
> accepted. As I recall, upstream did not use the suggested patch verbatim, so
> any updates to 8.14.3 should check against 8.14.4.
>
> I'll get 8.14.4 into unstable in the next day or so, but what happens to
> 'stable' is likely going to be a policy/RM call.

sorry to disturb you but it seems like a month has passed and the situation is
still unclear. Trying to contact you in private seems to fail so I was forced
to use this way. Could you give us a quick overview what the current state of
packaging sendmail and libmilter is? Do you need any help? Is there a chance to
get this new version still into Squeeze (release team?) or should we rather
focus on backporting the necessary changes to 8.14.3? As the libmilter problem
renders a class of applications unreliable this should IMHO really be
classified as RC bug.

> [...]
> was used. Based on patch by Dan Lukes.
> LIBMILTER: Document the effect of SMFIP_HDR_LEADSPC for filters
> which add, insert, or replace headers. From Benjamin
> Pineau.
> LIBMILTER: Fix error messages which refer to "select()" to be
> correct if SM_CONF_POLL is used. Based on patch from
> John Nemeth.
> LIBSM: Fix handling of LDAP search failures where the error is
> carried in the search result itself, such as seen with
> OpenLDAP proxy servers.
> VACATION: Do not refer to a local variable outside its scope.
> Based on patch from Mark Costlow of Southwest Cyberport.
> Portability:
> Enable HAVE_NANOSLEEP for SunOS 5.11. Patch from
> John Beck of Sun Microsystems.
> Drop NISPLUS from default SunOS 5.11 map definitions.
> Patch from John Beck of Sun Microsystems.

Again if you need any help please contact me.

Kind regards
Harald Jenny

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Richard A Nelson

sorry to disturb you but it seems like a month has passed and the situation is
still unclear.

'Tis now on the correct track, finally.

Trying to contact you in private seems to fail so I was forced
to use this way.

Fail? How? I checked my logs (back to Oct 17th at least) and I only see
those going debian - no temp/perm fails, etc. If you have a failure
report - I'd love to see it (maybe time to drop my MX service!).

Could you give us a quick overview what the current state of
packaging sendmail and libmilter is? Do you need any help? Is there a chance to
get this new version still into Squeeze (release team?) or should we rather
focus on backporting the necessary changes to 8.14.3? As the libmilter problem
renders a class of applications unreliable this should IMHO really be
classified as RC bug.

It was a comedy of errors - all mine
*) I had a build ready to go the day after my last note
*) I had issues uploading:
*) I now have to add options to force inclusion of source (didn't before)
*) My Key old key had been removed from the keyring
*) I was building newer keys, so it took a while to find the proper key
*) The last upload attempt on Oct 16 may have been partial - never
saw any accept note, nor a rejection ... I ran out of time

Then the Work/Life balance was tilted by serious family health issues

Your note reminded me (thanks) that this still wasn't done - so I tried
again and just got back:

sendmail_8.14.4-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

So, barring bugs, it should hit testing soon

--
Rick Nelson
<chesty> xemacs fixed my flatulence

Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Harald Jenny

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:48:08PM -0700, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
>
> >sorry to disturb you but it seems like a month has passed and the situation is
> >still unclear.
>
> 'Tis now on the correct track, finally.

That is very good to hear, thanks!

> >Trying to contact you in private seems to fail so I was forced
> >to use this way.
>
> Fail? How? I checked my logs (back to Oct 17th at least) and I only see
> those going debian - no temp/perm fails, etc. If you have a failure
> report - I'd love to see it (maybe time to drop my MX service!).

No failure report, just no answer - maybe also my internet provider had a
problem, I sent you a private message just few seconds ago...

> >Could you give us a quick overview what the current state of
> >packaging sendmail and libmilter is? Do you need any help? Is there a chance to
> >get this new version still into Squeeze (release team?) or should we rather
> >focus on backporting the necessary changes to 8.14.3? As the libmilter problem
> >renders a class of applications unreliable this should IMHO really be
> >classified as RC bug.
>
> It was a comedy of errors - all mine
> *) I had a build ready to go the day after my last note
> *) I had issues uploading:
> *) I now have to add options to force inclusion of source (didn't before)
> *) My Key old key had been removed from the keyring
> *) I was building newer keys, so it took a while to find the proper key
> *) The last upload attempt on Oct 16 may have been partial - never
> saw any accept note, nor a rejection ... I ran out of time
>
> Then the Work/Life balance was tilted by serious family health issues

Sorry to hear, I know real life tends to limit the time for working on Debian
so special thanks.

> Your note reminded me (thanks) that this still wasn't done - so I tried
> again and just got back:
>
> sendmail_8.14.4-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Ah that's very good news.

> So, barring bugs, it should hit testing soon

Thanks - and I hope the release team will allow this transition to take place.

> --
> Rick Nelson

Kind regards and many thanks
Harald Jenny