Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Marcin Owsiany

Default Removal of xmms and its reverse-dependancies - what is the status?

An xmms rev-dep I maintain (xmms-xf86audio) is useless without xmms, and
not really portable to any of its replacements. Therefore I agree it
should be removed if xmms is removed. However:

- the reporter said to ask for removal after xmms is removed
- the ftpmaster removal wiki page says reverse-dependancies should
usually be removed first.
- #461309 (against ftp.debian.org) is tagged moreinfo
- the thread mentioned in #461309 is dead

So what's the status? Is xmms removal decided yet, or not? Should I ask
for xmms-xf86audio removal now, or wait?

--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216 FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75 D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Luk Claes

Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> An xmms rev-dep I maintain (xmms-xf86audio) is useless without xmms, and
> not really portable to any of its replacements. Therefore I agree it
> should be removed if xmms is removed. However:
>
> - the reporter said to ask for removal after xmms is removed
> - the ftpmaster removal wiki page says reverse-dependancies should
> usually be removed first.
> - #461309 (against ftp.debian.org) is tagged moreinfo
> - the thread mentioned in #461309 is dead
>
> So what's the status? Is xmms removal decided yet, or not? Should I ask
> for xmms-xf86audio removal now, or wait?

xmms removal was decided some time ago.

Yes, if the package is useless without xmms and cannot be adapted to one
of xmms' alternatives, you should ask for removal of your package.

Cheers

Luk

Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Luk Claes wrote:

xmms removal was decided some time ago.

i am working on a project partly depending
on parts of xmms. in case it is removed
i will need at least backups of all
related package sources so i can still
have the packages at my place.

where can i find more information about this?

sebastian

Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Luk Claes

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
>> xmms removal was decided some time ago.
>
> i am working on a project partly depending
> on parts of xmms. in case it is removed
> i will need at least backups of all
> related package sources so i can still
> have the packages at my place.

It would probably better to focus on one of the alternatives of xmms
like audacious, xmm2 or bmpx...

> where can i find more information about this?

snapshot.debian.net might help if you really want to stick with xmms...

Cheers

Luk

Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Daniel Baumann

Luk Claes wrote:
> It would probably better to focus on one of the alternatives of xmms
> like audacious, xmm2 or bmpx...

whereas audacious is imho the only worth one.

> snapshot.debian.net might help if you really want to stick with xmms...

or http://daniel.debian.net/packages/xmms/ as much as it belongs to the
latest ones.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net