Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Niko Tyni

Default dh_shlibdeps and -dbg packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 07:03:43PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> A lot of these seem to be -dbg packages and I've got a few issues with
> that. Even if I add ${shlibsepends} for the -dbg package and run
> dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps, I get this warning with dh_gencontrol
> for the -dpkg package:
[...]
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibsepends}
>
> The -dbg package depends on the stripped version of the same library
> (which does depend on libc6) so I don't see that I can actually comply
> without adding the depends artificially.

Hm, dh_shlibdeps prunes /usr/lib/debug when looking for ELF executables.
This was apparently done when adding support for split debugging symbols
files: see #215670.

This looks like a bug to me, since /usr/lib/debug is used for "real"
unstripped libraries too. Just filed #461339 on debhelper.

Cheers,
--
Niko Tyni ntyni@debian.org

Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Russ Allbery

Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> writes:

> Hm, dh_shlibdeps prunes /usr/lib/debug when looking for ELF executables.
> This was apparently done when adding support for split debugging symbols
> files: see #215670.
>
> This looks like a bug to me, since /usr/lib/debug is used for "real"
> unstripped libraries too. Just filed #461339 on debhelper.

Hm, perhaps you should instead file a bug against any package (other than
libc6) which uses /usr/lib/debug for real unstripped libraries. Shouldn't
everyone use detached debugging symbols now, or is there really enough
utility in building a separate debugging version libraries to warrant the
additional user complexity of using them?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Colin Watson

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:50:09PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> writes:
> > Hm, dh_shlibdeps prunes /usr/lib/debug when looking for ELF executables.
> > This was apparently done when adding support for split debugging symbols
> > files: see #215670.
> >
> > This looks like a bug to me, since /usr/lib/debug is used for "real"
> > unstripped libraries too. Just filed #461339 on debhelper.
>
> Hm, perhaps you should instead file a bug against any package (other than
> libc6) which uses /usr/lib/debug for real unstripped libraries. Shouldn't
> everyone use detached debugging symbols now, or is there really enough
> utility in building a separate debugging version libraries to warrant the
> additional user complexity of using them?

I understand from Matthias that Python modules benefit noticeably from a
separate debugging build.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Robert Collins

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 23:58 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:50:09PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> writes:
> > > Hm, dh_shlibdeps prunes /usr/lib/debug when looking for ELF executables.
> > > This was apparently done when adding support for split debugging symbols
> > > files: see #215670.
> > >
> > > This looks like a bug to me, since /usr/lib/debug is used for "real"
> > > unstripped libraries too. Just filed #461339 on debhelper.
> >
> > Hm, perhaps you should instead file a bug against any package (other than
> > libc6) which uses /usr/lib/debug for real unstripped libraries. Shouldn't
> > everyone use detached debugging symbols now, or is there really enough
> > utility in building a separate debugging version libraries to warrant the
> > additional user complexity of using them?
>
> I understand from Matthias that Python modules benefit noticeably from a
> separate debugging build.

python core definitely does - the debug build adds instrumentation that
has an overhead and is not included in the non-debug builds because of
that.

I'd expect the same macros to do this in python modules, though I don't
know for sure.

-Rob