Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Russell Gadd

Default How to make Debian more attractive for users

On 26 July 2010 17:31, Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:05:19 +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:

> I spotted this topic in Debian Project News. I am a non-technical Debian

> user (Lenny AMD 64 bit) * - I have tried Ubuntu a couple of times but came

> back to Debian because of its stability. The main problem I have is lack of

> up to date Flash in the browser (Iceweasel) and I think this is a common

> problem with other users. I have to resort to using *Microsoft Windows

> sometimes as Flash is being used more and more by websites. Maybe it's a

> Linux problem not just Debian - I don't know, but it is frustrating.

This is a bit off-topic for debian-devel, and should probably be posted

as a question to debian-user@lists.debian.org. *Please send replies

there.

Up-to-date flash support is provided by the flashplugin-nonfree package

available from Debian's unofficial backports.org [0]. *There is no

gnash backport available, but that would be something nice to have

if someone were interested in that (each backport needs an interested

maintainer).

Best wishes,

Mike

[0] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

Thanks for the info Mike
Russell

Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Simon Paillard

http://www.debian.org/support#web

--
Simon Paillard

Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Am 26.07.2010 21:04, schrieb Russell Gadd:

>>> I spotted this topic in Debian Project News.

Thanks, you just made my day

>>> I am a non-technical Debian user (Lenny AMD 64 bit)
>> Up-to-date flash support is provided by the flashplugin-nonfree package
>> available from Debian's unofficial backports.org.
> Thanks for the info Mike

Uhh, sadly Adobe currently doesn't support their flashplugin on the
AMD64 architecture, but with a small trick you an use the 32-Bit version
of the plugin on AMD64. Please see the instructions on
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Debian5.0.27Lenny.27amd64

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Teemu Likonen

* 2010-07-23 00:27 (+0900), Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:54:16AM +0300, Teemu Likonen a écrit :
>> Debian's attractiveness (or perhaps the lack of it) is probably a sum
>> of several different things. I think one of those things is the front
>> page <http://www.debian.org>. The page may implicitly suggest that
>> there is nothing happening in the project. It looks almost always the
>> same, almost like one of those abandoned projects.
>>
>> I understand the "patched are welcome" nature of the project but
>> there has already been an example implementations for the front page.
>> A couple of years back there was lengthy discussion which even made
>> me feel that now it's really happening, the front page will change
>> soon, but still nothing. Were do those suggestions go?

> in my opinion, it is not only a question of design, but of
> infrastructure. For me, the combination of CVS and WML finally eroded
> all my motivation over the years for keeping some life in the pages
> under /devel/debian-med. I would welcome any change of VCS and
> language, even if it means losing the history or rewriting the pages
> from scratch.

Yes, sometimes it's not enough to send patches to an established
project. Indeed starting a different (web) project, possibly with
different infrastructure, may be needed if one wants to change things.

Well, I don't understand much about web programming myself so this is
just talk.

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them. I can't read all the list mail.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
"Anthony Berger"

i think so
the web page should be change. it seems like a old project. !

the question is; what could replace the existing langage

does a cms could replace the wml code