Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Andreas Tille

Default Better GoPlay

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:09:58PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> The Debian games team created goplay to help users discover games in
> Debian. Perhaps this needs more promotion and more people creating
> screenshots and probably a rewrite to look more flashy.

When I have seen GoPlay I thought: What a cool idea realised in a narrow
minded way. Why do I consider it narrow minded? I'm quoting the FAQ:

Q: How do I submit a screenshot?
A: Send Miriam a 320x240 thumbnail picture in png format.

Since more than one year we have screenshots.debian.net and GoPlay just
sticks to a non-maintainable competition to this great service. Is
there any sense to stick to this instead of simply using
screenshots.debian.net (and advertise this great service in the FAQ to
motivate gamers providing screenshots which can be used in *all*
applications for instance synaptics (and other apt frontends in case
they might support screenshots) as well as the Blends web sentinel?

IMHO this would be a simply reasonable way to go.

An even better way to go in my (perhaps to focussed view) would be if
the pkg-games team would join the Blends effort. (I several times
pinged them for either taking care for Debian Jr or draw this project in
their direction.) In this case they could make profit from screenshots
and more (for instance translations of package descriptions) as it is
demonstrated at the web sentinel pages[1] of this project. The big
advantage of havng this stuff on the web is that you can point people to
it *before* they installed Debian and make it an *argument* for using
Debian. To try goplay you need to have Debian just installed.

So in short: GoPlay is quite cool but done the wrong way. If you would
use screenshots.debian.net as input and would be flexible enough to
handle also other topics than just playing in a reasonable way (either
by enhancing DebTags to somehow match the tasks of the existing Blends
or use the tasks of Blends as a primary package selection and draw the
remaining information from DebTags) this would be really helpful for
Debian in general (and not only for players).

Kind regards

Andreas.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/junior/tasks/

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Russell Coker

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
> Q: How do I submit a screenshot?
> A: Send Miriam a 320x240 thumbnail picture in png format.
>
> Since more than one year we have screenshots.debian.net and GoPlay just
> sticks to a non-maintainable competition to this great service. Is
> there any sense to stick to this instead of simply using
> screenshots.debian.net (and advertise this great service in the FAQ to
> motivate gamers providing screenshots which can be used in all
> applications for instance synaptics (and other apt frontends in case
> they might support screenshots) as well as the Blends web sentinel?

It would probably be best to have both options available.

I've exceeded my quota for the month and web browsing is a little slow, so I
don't want to be viewing full size screen shots right now. But goplay is
quite usable and useful.

There's no reason why the same data set couldn't be used for the goplay
package and a web site - with the web site having links to bigger and more
screen shots.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Andreas Tille

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 07:22:30PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> It would probably be best to have both options available.
>
> I've exceeded my quota for the month and web browsing is a little slow, so I
> don't want to be viewing full size screen shots right now. But goplay is
> quite usable and useful.

Sure. I'm not against *having* offline screenshots. I'm just concerned
about how they are *obtained*. You could perfectly create the package
source of games-thumbnails out of a query to screenshots.debian.net,
right? But having two competing systems to ask users for screenshots,
one of them with a cool and sophisticated web interface and the other one
a manually driven "send me an e-mail" interface sounds quite stupid to me.

> There's no reason why the same data set couldn't be used for the goplay
> package and a web sites

Yes - I think the problem here is that goplay people and screenshots
people just do not talk to each other, right?

> - with the web site having links to bigger and more
> screen shots.

Reducing the size of a screenshot for probably smaller package size of
games-thumbnails, shouldn't be a real problem.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de