Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/)
-   -   Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/39026-bug-461104-rfp-label-set-change-label-partition-disk.html)

Rafael 01-16-2008 03:00 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
X-Debbugs-CC: debian-devel@lists.debian.org

--- Please fill out the fields below. ---

Package name: label
Version:
Upstream Author: [David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>]
URL: [http://crysol.inf-cr.uclm.es/node/482]
License: [GPL]
Description: [Set or change label to partition disk]



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Steve Greenland 01-17-2008 06:19 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
On 16-Jan-08, 10:00 (CST), Rafael <eaglescreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Package name: label
> Version:
> Upstream Author: [David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>]
> URL: [http://crysol.inf-cr.uclm.es/node/482]
> License: [GPL]
> Description: [Set or change label to partition disk]


I realize this is just an RFP, but the proposed package name is way too
generic. Something like 'partlabel' or 'disklabel' would be better.

It also seems a rather trivial script for its own package...

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world. -- seen on the net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Ron Johnson 01-17-2008 07:32 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 01/17/08 13:19, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 16-Jan-08, 10:00 (CST), Rafael <eaglescreen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Package name: label
>> Version:
>> Upstream Author: [David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>]
>> URL: [http://crysol.inf-cr.uclm.es/node/482]
>> License: [GPL]
>> Description: [Set or change label to partition disk]
>
>
> I realize this is just an RFP, but the proposed package name is way too
> generic. Something like 'partlabel' or 'disklabel' would be better.
>
> It also seems a rather trivial script for its own package...

Aren't there already ways to do this? For example,

# tune2fs -L <some_label> /dev/[sh]d[a-z][1-15]

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHj7tQS9HxQb37XmcRAjtxAJ9J813DYu1ypYyd8mWQkK gfKZezZgCgnuui
wiQQUYXe5IOwxcoVJXehYzE=
=P3VT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"brian m. carlson" 01-17-2008 07:52 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:32:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 01/17/08 13:19, Steve Greenland wrote:
On 16-Jan-08, 10:00 (CST), Rafael <eaglescreen@gmail.com> wrote:

Package name: label
Version:
Upstream Author: [David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>]

URL: [http://crysol.inf-cr.uclm.es/node/482]
License: [GPL]
Description: [Set or change label to partition disk]



I realize this is just an RFP, but the proposed package name is way too
generic. Something like 'partlabel' or 'disklabel' would be better.

It also seems a rather trivial script for its own package...


Aren't there already ways to do this? For example,

# tune2fs -L <some_label> /dev/[sh]d[a-z][1-15]


If you're looking for naming a partition, then yes, that method works
(assuming, of course, that it is ext[23]). If you're looking for a
disklabel (also known as a partition table), then that method won't
work, but you can use parted or the appropriate fdisk tool. It's
somewhat difficult to tell, since there is no long description.
Consider this a request for one.


--
brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US
+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack
OpenPGP: RSA v4 4096b 88AC E9B2 9196 305B A994 7552 F1BA 225C 0223 B187

"Milan P. Stanic" 01-17-2008 08:27 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:32:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/17/08 13:19, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > On 16-Jan-08, 10:00 (CST), Rafael <eaglescreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Package name: label
> >> Version:
> >> Upstream Author: [David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>]
> >> URL: [http://crysol.inf-cr.uclm.es/node/482]
> >> License: [GPL]
> >> Description: [Set or change label to partition disk]
> > I realize this is just an RFP, but the proposed package name is way too
> > generic. Something like 'partlabel' or 'disklabel' would be better.
> > It also seems a rather trivial script for its own package...
> Aren't there already ways to do this? For example,
> # tune2fs -L <some_label> /dev/[sh]d[a-z][1-15]

Or: e2label device [ new-label ]


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Steve Greenland 01-17-2008 08:33 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
On 17-Jan-08, 14:52 (CST), "brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:32:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Aren't there already ways to do this? For example,
>>
>> # tune2fs -L <some_label> /dev/[sh]d[a-z][1-15]
>
> If you're looking for naming a partition, then yes, that method works
> (assuming, of course, that it is ext[23]). If you're looking for a
> disklabel (also known as a partition table), then that method won't
> work, but you can use parted or the appropriate fdisk tool. It's
> somewhat difficult to tell, since there is no long description.
> Consider this a request for one.

Looking at the website, it appears to be the former. It looks like a
wrapper that determines whether the FS in question is ext[23] or msdos,
and make the appropriate utility call.

However, I don't read Spanish, so there may be more to it.

Steve



--
Steve Greenland
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world. -- seen on the net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Roberto C. Sánchez 01-17-2008 09:35 PM

Bug#461104: RFP: label -- Set or change label to partition disk
 
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:33:45PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 17-Jan-08, 14:52 (CST), "brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:32:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> Aren't there already ways to do this? For example,
> >>
> >> # tune2fs -L <some_label> /dev/[sh]d[a-z][1-15]
> >
> > If you're looking for naming a partition, then yes, that method works
> > (assuming, of course, that it is ext[23]). If you're looking for a
> > disklabel (also known as a partition table), then that method won't
> > work, but you can use parted or the appropriate fdisk tool. It's
> > somewhat difficult to tell, since there is no long description.
> > Consider this a request for one.
>
> Looking at the website, it appears to be the former. It looks like a
> wrapper that determines whether the FS in question is ext[23] or msdos,
> and make the appropriate utility call.
>
> However, I don't read Spanish, so there may be more to it.
>
(Folks, I am a professional, so please don't try this at home)

Limitaciones
(Limitations)

* Tienes que ser root (por razones obvias). Puedes usarlo con sudo.
(Must be root, can be used with sudo)
* El dispositivo indicado debe estar montado porque el programa utiliza df para averiguar el sistema de ficheros.
(Device must be mounted because df is used to determine
filesystem)
* Por ahora sólo soporta vfat y ext2/3, pero extenderlo para otros FS es trivial.
(Currently, only vfat and ext2/3 are supported, extending to
support other filesystems is trivial)

Quizá sería más sencillo hacerlo en C-Shell, pero me siento más cómodo con Python. Se admiten sugerencias.
(It would probably be easier in csh, but I am more comfortable with
Python. Suggestions welcome.)

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.