Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Russell Coker

Default Xen for Squeeze, 3.4 or 4.0

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, "James Harper" <james.harper@bendigoit.com.au> wrote:
> It would be nice if it could automatically detect xen kernels when you
> update-grub it though... or maybe that's what you were asking? Adding a
> custom section to the .d directory works but is a bit messy.

Yes, I applied a patch for that based on a grub2 bug report. But it didn't
seem to work well.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Thomas Goirand

Russell Coker wrote:
> Sometimes you test two options and find that for some systems one works well
> and for other systems the other works well. Then if both options are
> available you can get most (maybe all) systems working well, but if one option
> isn't available then some systems don't work well.

Could you please report what option(s) in 4.0 isn't (aren't) working?

Thomas

Old 06-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Gunnar Wolf

Bastian Blank dijo [Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:54:28PM +0200]:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm currently thinking about which version of Xen supporting in Squeeze.
> There are two possibilities: 3.4 and 4.0. 3.4 is currently in testing
> and unstable, 4.0 is in experimental.

Are both releases supporting running as Dom0 and DomU? I understood
there were still integration problems with upstream (Linux).

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244

Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Pasi Krkkinen

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:47:49PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Bastian Blank dijo [Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:54:28PM +0200]:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > I'm currently thinking about which version of Xen supporting in Squeeze.
> > There are two possibilities: 3.4 and 4.0. 3.4 is currently in testing
> > and unstable, 4.0 is in experimental.
>
> Are both releases supporting running as Dom0 and DomU? I understood
> there were still integration problems with upstream (Linux).

Xen here refers to the *hypervisor* itself (xen.gz). In addition to the hypervisor
you also need a separate dom0 Linux kernel for the host, and domU kernels for PV guests.

Xen dom0 Linux kernel for Squeeze will be based on (afaik) upstream long-term maintained
xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch from xen.git kernel repository.

-- Pasi

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Toni Mueller

Hi,

I know that I'm a bit late...

On Thu, 10.06.2010 at 17:54:28 +0200, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> My personal preference would be to go with 4.0.

If it's one, then I opt for 4.0.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
--Toni++

Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Russell Coker

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 10.06.2010 at 17:54:28 +0200, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org>
wrote:
> > My personal preference would be to go with 4.0.
>
> If it's one, then I opt for 4.0.

I've got a few systems running Xen 4.0 now. It's working pretty well.

I've got one system where the latest version of GRUB won't boot Xen 4.0, but
apart from that it seems fine.