-   -   About dpkg-shlibdeps checks (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/3832-about-dpkg-shlibdeps-checks.html)

Pierre Habouzit 11-23-2007 09:07 PM

About dpkg-shlibdeps checks

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:49:10PM +0000, Luk Claes wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >> Except covering kde now. KDE didn't change that much since september.
> >
> > Apparently not any more with the dpkg-shlibdeps that implements the exceptions
> > that I listed in my first mail... (you know it since you tested it for me)
> >
> > I'm willing to take some blame, mind you. But I'm just not willing to
> > fully revert a decision because some grumpy maintainers are not happy that
> > they have some fixing to do (in particular when it looks like they don't
> > really understand the issues at hand).
>
> Nowadays there are better alternatives to uploading to unstable for
> archive wide testing IMHO. Uploading to experimental is a good thing to
> have some initial testing on many architectures, though I would go for a
> rebuild of the whole archive for testing things like this for all
> packages... before uploading to unstable.

He did a full rebuild, and even posted a list. Though it was for x86
which is a tolerant architecture, and the arch where libtool is the less
broken. And also Raphael had the brilliant idea to upload a code more
strict than the one used for his tests.

Both things render the rebuild he did moot.
--
·O· Pierre Habouzit
··O madcoder@debian.org

Raphael Hertzog 11-23-2007 09:11 PM

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Luk Claes wrote:
> Nowadays there are better alternatives to uploading to unstable for
> archive wide testing IMHO. Uploading to experimental is a good thing to
> have some initial testing on many architectures, though I would go for a
> rebuild of the whole archive for testing things like this for all
> packages... before uploading to unstable.
>
> I do hope you will think about this next time.

Well, I did. But I should have done another run before the upload to
unstable, agreed. Because I fixed other bugs since july and because some
previous runs were done with symbols files (while right now we have no
symbols files yet in unstable).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog