Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

Default gnome 1.x removal

Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> As per release goal, gnome 1.x won't be shipped in Lenny. I just started
> a first round of bugs (severity important for now), with user/usertag
> debian-release@lists.debian.org/gnome-1.x-removal so that people
> interested in that goal can track our progress.

Two thumbs up, thanks for pushing this.

> Then I'll do some more runs of the same principle on other gnome 1.x
> related libs until we got rid of them al.

If possible, libxml should be removed as well, most of the rev deps
are gnome1-related and the few remaining packages could be fixed to
use libxml2.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Pierre Habouzit

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:53:50PM +0000, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > As per release goal, gnome 1.x won't be shipped in Lenny. I just started
> > a first round of bugs (severity important for now), with user/usertag
> > debian-release@lists.debian.org/gnome-1.x-removal so that people
> > interested in that goal can track our progress.
>
> Two thumbs up, thanks for pushing this.
>
> > Then I'll do some more runs of the same principle on other gnome 1.x
> > related libs until we got rid of them al.
>
> If possible, libxml should be removed as well, most of the rev deps
> are gnome1-related and the few remaining packages could be fixed to
> use libxml2.

Okay, this will go next then, consider it on my todolist.

--
O Pierre Habouzit
O madcoder@debian.org

Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Thomas Bushnell BSG (tb@becket.net):

> Because the last time you all did this it got all the way to deleting
> the packages and I had to run around and clean that up. I'm asking you
> to give the maintainers a chance. That's all. Is it really that hard
> to do?

Isn't this what is happening right now?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Mike Hommey

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:53:50PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > As per release goal, gnome 1.x won't be shipped in Lenny. I just started
> > a first round of bugs (severity important for now), with user/usertag
> > debian-release@lists.debian.org/gnome-1.x-removal so that people
> > interested in that goal can track our progress.
>
> Two thumbs up, thanks for pushing this.
>
> > Then I'll do some more runs of the same principle on other gnome 1.x
> > related libs until we got rid of them al.
>
> If possible, libxml should be removed as well, most of the rev deps
> are gnome1-related and the few remaining packages could be fixed to
> use libxml2.

With my libxml1 and libxml2 maintainer hat on, I'd even say packages
using libxml1 are using a really buggy XML parser and really should be
fixed to use libxml2.

Mike