Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Ove Kaaven

Default Permission to NMU gcc-mingw32

The lack of a suitable (i.e. non-buggy) mingw32 cross-compiler has
blocked Wine updates for half a year now. Both the mingw32 package (gcc
4.2.1) and the gcc-mingw32 package (gcc 4.4.2) have a bug which was
fixed in upstream gcc 4.4.3. At least one of these should be updated, if
we want a fully featured Wine, but neither of them seems to be updating.
The maintainer of gcc-mingw32, Robert Millan, appears MIA, and mingw32
appears to be blocked on some politics issue (apparently not helped by
the existence of gcc-mingw32?).

Anyway, for me, the easiest way to be able to build an updated Wine
package would be to NMU gcc-mingw32. Doing so seems to be just a matter
of putting in a new gcc tarball in the source package, and I've
confirmed that updating it to gcc 4.4.4 seems to work for what Wine needs.

Is it okay if I go ahead and do such a NMU?

Ove

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Peter Samuelson

[Ove Kaaven]
> Anyway, for me, the easiest way to be able to build an updated Wine
> package would be to NMU gcc-mingw32. Doing so seems to be just a
> matter of putting in a new gcc tarball in the source package, and
> I've confirmed that updating it to gcc 4.4.4 seems to work for what
> Wine needs.

*Nod.*

> Is it okay if I go ahead and do such a NMU?

I think so. Especially since you announced your intention a week ago
in bug 573756. Sure, #573756 is 'wishlist', but given it apparently is
blocking wine-unstable, I'm thinking it should be a 'normal' or even
'important' bug.

Of course, I have no authority here, just an opinion.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Ove Kaaven