Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Eduard Bloch

Default APT do not work with Squid as a proxy because of pipelining default

#include <hallo.h>
* Robert Collins [Tue, May 18 2010, 02:02:59PM]:
> Given that pipelining is broken by design, that the HTTP WG has

And if not? Counter example, it seems to work just fine with my
apt-cacher-ng proxy, at least bug reports related to that have appeared
for about a year now.

> increased the number of concurrent connections that are recommended,
> and removed the upper limit - no. I don't think that disabling
> pipelining hurts anyone - just use a couple more concurrent
> connections.

And here I disagree. Dealing with a dozen connections instead of having
the requests in the pipeline can require much more resources on the
proxy side.

Regards,
Eduard.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:28:00PM +0200, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> was heard to say:
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@madism.org> writes:
> > This is bullshit. It's *VERY* easy to "support" pipelining: parse one
> > request at a time, and until you're done with a given request, you just
> > stop to watch the socket/file-descriptor for reading (IOW you let the
> > consecutive request live in the kernel buffers).
>
> Yeah, you make it sound easy. I'm sure those writing proxy servers are
> just stupid.

There are lots of easy features that my own software doesn't support,
and I don't think I'm particularly stupid. It just means I have less
than an infinite amount of time.

Daniel