Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

Default shutdown on power button?

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 13:56:55 Philipp Kern wrote:
> I doubt it's the default. You have to install acpid to get this
> behaviour, at least in VMs.
It is, i just turned off my laptop (installed in march) for mistake, and i
dindn't install manually acpid.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Michael Meskes

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:23:05PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> I have noticed that the default configuration is to shutdown the computer when
> the power button is pressed.

You might want to check which software did react on the button.

> But on normal desktop installations, the DE will handle the event and take the
> appropriate actions.

Right, if you do not have a DE running, one way to react on the power button is
using acpid *and* acpi-support-base.

> I also think that on non-desktop it should be the admin to decide whether if
> this behaviour is wanted (i have news of a server that went down because
> someone put a box near the power button and shortly pressed it with the box
> itself).

So what do you propose?

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
ICQ 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype michaelmeskes, Jabber meskes@jabber.org

Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 15:19:08 Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:23:05PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > I have noticed that the default configuration is to shutdown the computer
> > when the power button is pressed.
>
> You might want to check which software did react on the button.
/etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh

> Right, if you do not have a DE running, one way to react on the power
> button is using acpid *and* acpi-support-base.
But if i have it (and most of the time this is the case) it's just very
annoying having configured kde to lock the screen and then seeing the screen
being locked and then the computer being turned off.

> So what do you propose?
Do not react to it.
Also consider that acpid was not installed manually on my system, but much
likely suggested by some other package, so i was kind of unaware of its
presence.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Luca Niccoli

On 19 May 2010 14:10, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:

> It is, i just turned off my laptop (installed in march) for mistake, and i
> dindn't install manually acpid.

It's not acpid that shuts down the computer on power button, it's
acpi-support-base (installed by default)
If you pressed the power button of you laptop, and the laptop shut
down (cleanly!), I don't think you can call this an unreasonable
behaviour.
On the contrary, changing the default could lead to thermal damage
(people press the power button and put the computer in the backpack
expecting it to be off in a few seconds).

There has been already quite a discussion in Debian about this matter
(see e.g #444676); I don't think starting it all over again is a
sensible thing to do.

Cheers,

Luca

Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Luca Niccoli

On 19 May 2010 16:10, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:

>> Right, if you do not have a DE running, one way to react on the power
>> button is using acpid *and* acpi-support-base.
> But if i have it (and most of the time this is the case) it's just very
> annoying having configured kde to lock the screen and then seeing the screen
> being locked and then the computer being turned off.

Mmm, you are saying that you are running KDE, with the KDE power
manager; that you have configured KDE not to switch the computer off
on power button; and that nonetheless the computer goes off when you
press it?
This would be definitely a bug, not intended behaviour.
Cheers,

Luca

Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 16:14:41 Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I don't think you can call this an unreasonable
> behaviour.
But as every good luser i opened powerdevil and set it to lock the screen, so
for me it was totally unreasonable since it did something else than what i had
manually configured to do.

Then i reminded that i had it installed again recently and that i forgot to
disable it from the script.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 16:17:49 Luca Niccoli wrote:
> Mmm, you are saying that you are running KDE, with the KDE power
> manager; that you have configured KDE not to switch the computer off
> on power button; and that nonetheless the computer goes off when you
> press it?

That is exactly what i am saying.

> This would be definitely a bug, not intended behaviour.
Not kde's but i would say.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Luca Niccoli

On 19 May 2010 16:30, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:

> But as every good luser i opened powerdevil and set it to lock the screen, so
> for me it was totally unreasonable since it did something else than what i had
> manually configured to do.

Then it's a bug in acpi-support-base, since the powerbtn script is
supposed to exit without action if power devil is running.
File it to the BTS please.
Cheers,

Luca

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Luca Niccoli

On 19 May 2010 16:38, Luca Niccoli <lultimouomo@gmail.com> wrote:

> File it to the BTS please.

Hint:
since you already found out that the culprit was
/etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh, running
$reportbug /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh
would have automatically filed a bug against the package that owns it.
In general, even if you don't know which package is responsible, it's
better to file a bug against a possible one and then let the
maintainer reassign it than write on debian-devel, that it's not meant
for bug reporting.
Cheers,

Luca

Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 16:42:12 Luca Niccoli wrote:
> that it's not meant for bug reporting.
I actually thought it was the intended behaviour...

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli