Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Ryan Oram

Default SRWare Iron: Chromium without the data-mining

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

This should become a full open source project with a community behind
it. With Mozilla disregarding H.264, the community needs a full
browser capable of H.264 video playback without the privacy issues of
Chrome.

We need to "Iceweasel" Chromium.

I'm willing to put the infinityOS team behind this, but I would like
the help and support of the Debian community.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Philipp Kern

On 2010-05-18, Ryan Oram <ryan@infinityos.net> wrote:
> http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
>
> This should become a full open source project with a community behind
> it. With Mozilla disregarding H.264, the community needs a full
> browser capable of H.264 video playback without the privacy issues of
> Chrome.
>
> We need to "Iceweasel" Chromium.

No, we don't (unless trademark rules apply). It's Chromium, not Chrome btw,
that site doesn't speak a word about Chromium.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Fabian Greffrath

With Mozilla disregarding H.264, the community needs a full
browser capable of H.264 video playback without the privacy issues of
Chrome.

<http://packages.debian.org/sid/epiphany-browser>

You may need to install some additional gstreamer plugins, though.

Cheers,
Fabian

Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Ryan Oram

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Fabian Greffrath <greffrath@leat.rub.de> wrote:
>> With Mozilla disregarding H.264, the community needs a full
>> browser capable of H.264 video playback without the privacy issues of
>> Chrome.
>
> <http://packages.debian.org/sid/epiphany-browser>
>
> You may need to install some additional gstreamer plugins, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Fabian

Epiphany has iffy tabbed browsing support and the Javascript engine is
incomplete (I can't edit posts on many forums for example). It's a
great browser and should be worked on, but we should take as many
avenues as possible.

Epiphany is actually the default browser in infinityOS.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Ryan Oram

On 18 May 2010, Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> wrote:
>No, we don't (unless trademark rules apply). It's Chromium, not Chrome btw,
>that site doesn't speak a word about Chromium.
>
>Kind regards,
>Philipp Kern

Most of the privacy issues of Chrome are present in Chromium as well.
These "features" need to be removed or, at the very least, made
completely opt-in.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Ryan Oram

"Chrome Incognito Tracks Visited Sites"
http://www.lewiz.org/2010/05/chrome-incognito-tracks-visited-sites.html

This seems to be becoming a theme. As Chromium has much of the same
privacy issues as Chrome (SRWare Iron is made from Chromium and the
code is striped from Chromium), this "feature" is surely in Chromium
as well.

I find this completely unacceptable.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Ryan Oram

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Ryan Oram <ryan@infinityos.net> wrote:
> "Chrome Incognito Tracks Visited Sites"
> http://www.lewiz.org/2010/05/chrome-incognito-tracks-visited-sites.html
>
> This seems to be becoming a theme. As Chromium has much of the same
> privacy issues as Chrome (SRWare Iron is made from Chromium and the
> code is striped from Chromium), this "feature" is surely in Chromium
> as well.
>
> I find this completely unacceptable.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

The above seems to be an oversight on Google's part. But the fact that
it hasn't been fixed, despite being known for over a month, is a good
indicator that Google isn't too concerned about privacy...

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
John Moser

Shut up.* You're whining like a raving politicized lune and nobody is listening to your monologue.

Apply some critical thinking skills.* It's a bug in a special mode of a browser, a mode that doesn't store history/cookies.* It's not (known to be) sharing anything with the 'net, so it's innocuous as known.* Nobody can agree on if it even works; or if it does, if it works between sessions.

I suppose when a cloud goes in front of the sun you panic and look up to check if the sun is dying.

On May 18, 2010 1:24 PM, "Ryan Oram" <ryan@infinityos.net> wrote:

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Ryan Oram <ryan@infinityos.net> wrote:
> "Chrome Incognito Tracks V...
The above seems to be an oversight on Google's part. But the fact that

it hasn't been fixed, despite being known for over a month, is a good

indicator that Google isn't too concerned about privacy...

Thanks,
Ryan

Modify se...

Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Joe Terranova

Don't hold back, John. Tell us how you really feel.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Hi.

AFAIK, even Chrome has disabled most tracking stuff per default (except
those things which FF/etc. do too).

With chromium, it was regarded to be a (reportable) bug if anything that
is privacy sensitive could not be disabled, IIRC.

And regarding Iron,... the following might be interesting:
http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2009/12/iron.html

Cheers,
Chris.