Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Daniel Leidert

Default debian/watch problem due to http://code.google.com download page's link format change

Am Samstag, den 15.05.2010, 17:16 +0800 schrieb Asias He:

> Recently, code.google.com changed the download page link format.
> As a result, the old debian/watch file in packages whose upstream source code
> hosted on code.google.com did work anymore.
>
> Take the ibus project for example:
> $ cat ibus/debian/watch
> version=3
> http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/list
> http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/ibus-([0-9].*).tar.gz
>
> The new download page contain the "detail" link, one has to follow
> the new "detail" link in order to find the real download url.
> something like this:
> http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/list
> http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/detail?name=ibus-1.3.3.tar.gz&can=2&q=
> http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/ibus-1.3.3.tar.gz
>
> I believe this problem affects all the packages whose upstream source
> code is hosted on code.google.com.
>
> Is there an easy way to deal this.

The URL at http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/list itself tells you
everything you need: the version number. And you have a static download
location. So what you need to do is to rewrite the download URL to point
to http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/ibus-$(version).tar.gz and you must
rewrite the filename. With the above URL it will be "detail" and it
should of course be "ibus-$(version).tar.gz".

See the attached file. Maybe some redirector at qa.d.o would be easier
for people. But the change at code.g.c itself doesn't affect your
ability to check and download the latest source file.

PS: The same BTW goes for sf.net! I would prefer if the necessary
(automatic) rewrites would be added to uscan (maybe as modules) and not
via redirectors. They are not necessary for sf.net nor code.g.c. But
that's my opinion.

Regards, Daniel

Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Iustin Pop

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 06:48:41PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 05:16:08PM +0800, Asias He wrote:
> > Hi, All
> >
> > Recently, code.google.com changed the download page link format.
> > As a result, the old debian/watch file in packages whose upstream source code
> > hosted on code.google.com did work anymore.
> >
> > Take the ibus project for example:
> > $ cat ibus/debian/watch
> > version=3
> > http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/list
> > http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/ibus-([0-9].*).tar.gz
> >
> > The new download page contain the "detail" link, one has to follow
> > the new "detail" link in order to find the real download url.
> > something like this:
> > http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/list
> > http://code.google.com/p/ibus/downloads/detail?name=ibus-1.3.3.tar.gz&can=2&q=
> > http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/ibus-1.3.3.tar.gz
> >
> > I believe this problem affects all the packages whose upstream source
> > code is hosted on code.google.com.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to deal this.
>
> I guess we need to generarize situation on sf.net to other popular
> download sites. This data is used mainly by uscan program.
>
> When the watch file has an URL matching with the Perl regexp
> "^http://sf.net/", the uscan program substitutes it with
> "http://qa.debian.org/watch/sf.php/" and then applies this rule. The URL
> redirector service at this http://qa.debian.org/ is designed to offer a
> stable redirect service to the desired file for the watch file having
> "http://sf.net/project/tar-name-(.+).tar.gz". This solves issues
> related to the periodically changing URL there.
>
> So if someone impliment similar URL redirector service, we can have
> stable link.
>
> Until then, we need to keep up each watch file manually.

I just checked and there's no open bug against code.google.com to
restore the old, plain style links. Note they do have a direct download
link, but now it's obfuscated behind a javascript "onclick" method.

Wouldn't it be better to ask and see if they're willing to either
restore the old link or remove the javascript bit, instead of going
ahead with a workaround?

regards,
iustin