Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Hans de Goede

Default Removing the number of installation screens (F-14)

Hi,

For F-14, I would like to see the number of
installation screens reduced, thus making the installer more
friendly for less experienced users.

Some ideas:

1) Add an "advanced" cmdline option, and when this is not present:
* Do not ask for advanced storage use
* Do not ask what sort of installation (workstation / development machine /
server) to do, simply do a default install
* Maybe hide "review partitioning" and "custom layout" partitioning options

I know people don't like this, but since we target a rather wide audience
from beginning users to people who want to use SAN's, I really believe we
need to differentiate between the two, and as has been argued before adding a
UI to differentiate between the two will only lead to everyone simply selecting
advanced as they are afraid they will miss out on some choices, so moving this
to the cmdline where power users will be able to find it, seems like a
possible answer to me.

2) There is no need to configure the root password during installation, move
this to firstboot preferably to the user configuration screen.

Regards,

Hans