Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Iker Salmón San Millán

Default chromium-browser from experimental has included h.264 by default?

Hi, i didn't know where or how to report this, but i have readed in a forum that an user has tried chromium-browser from experimental and seems that it includes by default those privative codecs. I have tried by myself and i agree with him, but maybe i am wrong.

this is the process. Adding ubuntu launchpad repositories to install chromium, you need to install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree in order to watch youtube videos in html5 format.

Purging those packages and installin chronium-browser from experimental i can watch those videos without installing anything else.*

Is this correct? does chromium-browser package in debian have h264 codecs included? is this because it is in experimental and they will be separated later? or just a mistake? or maybe those codecs are included in other package installed that i haven't seen?

thanks

Iker

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Giuseppe Iuculano

Hi,

Il 10/05/2010 22:15, Iker Salmón San Millán ha scritto:
> Hi, i didn't know where or how to report this, but i have readed in a
> forum that an user has tried |chromium-browser from experimental and
> seems that it includes by default those privative codecs. I have tried
> by myself and i agree with him, but maybe i am wrong.

No, it doesn't contain those, see below

> Purging those packages and installin chronium-browser from experimental
> i can watch those videos without installing anything else.
>
> Is this correct? does chromium-browser package in debian have |h264
> codecs included? is this because it is in experimental and they will be
> separated later? or just a mistake? or maybe those codecs are included
> in other package installed that i haven't seen?

Chromium in Debian is built against the system FFmpeg headers via
pkg-config. This means when Chromium is launched it will assume that
FFmpeg is present in the system library path.
In this way you can decide which codecs chromium will use.

If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
other third repositories.

BTW, here[2] you can find instructions how to report a bug in Debian

[1]http://debian-multimedia.org/
[2]http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Iker Salmón San Millán

*Chromium in Debian is built against the system FFmpeg headers via

pkg-config. This means when Chromium is launched it will assume that

FFmpeg is present in the system library path.

In this way you can decide which codecs chromium will use.

If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed

libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or

other third repositories.

Thank you Giusseppe

BTW, here[2] you can find instructions how to report a bug in Debian

I didn't report as a bug because there wasn't anything wrong with the usability, i tought it was something that goes against debian social contract.*

Cheers,

Giuseppe.
Thanks again
Cheers
Iker

Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

On 05/10/2010 10:44 PM, Iker Salmón San Millán wrote:
> I didn't report as a bug because there wasn't anything wrong with the
> usability, i tought it was something that goes against debian social
> contract.

Which would still be a bug, with a a release critical severity.
Best thing to do in such cases is to report a bug as this ensures that the
maintainer will see it or somebody else will be able to handle it.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Sven Arvidsson

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 22:36 +0200, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
> libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
> other third repositories.

Why? Debian ships decoders for H264, so it should work out of the box,
without third party repositories.

From the ffmpeg README.Debian:

Currently the following video encoders are disabled in the ffmpeg
package: H263, H264, MPEG2 video, MPEG4 and MS-MPEG4. No *decoders* are
disabled in any the ffmpeg package!

Or am I missing something here?

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson

Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Timo Juhani Lindfors

Giuseppe Iuculano <giuseppe@iuculano.it> writes:
> If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
> libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
> other third repositories.

Hmm? Mplayer in debian unstable plays youtube h.264 just fine. No
non-free stuff needed:

$ youtube-dl -b http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyodnisVvU
$ mplayer _RyodnisVvU.mp4
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Andres Mejia

On Monday 10 May 2010 17:36:59 Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 22:36 +0200, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> > If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
> > libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
> > other third repositories.
>
> Why? Debian ships decoders for H264, so it should work out of the box,
> without third party repositories.
>
> From the ffmpeg README.Debian:
>
> Currently the following video encoders are disabled in the ffmpeg
> package: H263, H264, MPEG2 video, MPEG4 and MS-MPEG4. No *decoders*
> are disabled in any the ffmpeg package!
>
> Or am I missing something here?

Yes, ffmpeg in Debian ships decoders for these formats, but no encoders. You
can verify by looking at a build log for any architecture. For example here's
the build log for i386 [1]. grep 'ffmpeg -formats'. Explanations as to why can
be found at [2] and [3].

1. https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=ffmpeg&arch=i386&ver=4:0.5.1-3&stamp=1268432605&file=log&as=raw
2. http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.Debian
3. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=522373

Andres Mejia

Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Reinhard Tartler

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 22:36:00 (CEST), Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:

> Chromium in Debian is built against the system FFmpeg headers via
> pkg-config. This means when Chromium is launched it will assume that
> FFmpeg is present in the system library path. In this way you can
> decide which codecs chromium will use.

Surely not. Chromium ships a *private* copy of ffmpeg, more precisely, a
fork of ffmpeg called ffmpeg-mt. Debian does not include ffmpeg-mt
because of bug #575600 (tagged wontfix). Moreover, Debian's copy of
ffmpeg will always be out-of-date.

I wonder why the security team hasn't vetoed this move...

> If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
> libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
> other third repositories.

Installing packages from that repo will break existing packages in
debian, e.g. vlc and mplayer.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Reinhard Tartler

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 22:15:28 (CEST), Iker Salmón San Millán wrote:

> Hi, i didn't know where or how to report this, but i have readed in a forum
> that an user has tried chromium-browser from experimental and seems that it
> includes by default those privative codecs.

As others have noted in this thread, debian has shipped a working h264
decoder in the 'ffmpeg' package since years without any problem. Even
lenny (and I'm pretty sure etch as well) have shipped software to decode
h264 properly.

AFAIUI, Debian has not been approached by any patent holder directly or
indirectly. Which does not mean that this fact is undisputed, see bug
#522373 for details.

> this is the process. Adding ubuntu launchpad repositories to install
> chromium, you need to install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree in order to
> watch youtube videos in html5 format.

this package is named increadibly confusingly. I've already asked to the
maintainer of those packages to rename the package to
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra, and he agreed. The package
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree is now a transitional package only.

To clarify: it seems that one can build chromium without the internal
(and quite heavily patched) copy of ffmpeg, in which case h264 is not
supported. In the package chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra contains a shared
library which contains all ffmpeg derived libraries libavcodec,
libavformat and libavutil linked into a single shared library.

> Is this correct?

yes

> does chromium-browser package in debian have h264 codecs included?

yes

> is this because it is in experimental and they will be separated
> later?

I hope not.

> or just a mistake?

no

> or maybe those codecs are included in other package installed that i
> haven't seen?

in short: we have multiple copies of software that decodes 264, and
chromium uses its private copy.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Joey Hess

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Surely not. Chromium ships a *private* copy of ffmpeg, more precisely, a
> fork of ffmpeg called ffmpeg-mt. Debian does not include ffmpeg-mt
> because of bug #575600 (tagged wontfix). Moreover, Debian's copy of
> ffmpeg will always be out-of-date.
>
> I wonder why the security team hasn't vetoed this move...

That seems incorrect, see #580947.

--
see shy jo