Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Joerg Jaspert

Default postscropt document without source

On 11264 March 1977, Colin Tuckley wrote:

> I'm working on a package (blas) that contains a postscript document with no
> source supplied by upstream.

> Obviously I can remove the postscript file from the binary package, but is
> this sufficient or do I also need to remove it from the source package -
> which implies re-packaging the .orig.tar.gz

> I'd like to get this right because the package was rejected when it was last
> uploaded (by a previous maintainer) because of this.

Source, as we ship the source too. For the (C)/license checks in NEW it
(*nearly*) doesn't matter if you ship it in the binary package or not.

--
bye Joerg
Some NM:

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Colin Tuckley

Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Thomas Weber

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:49:05AM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Right, so a source tarball repack is needed.
>
> Which blas package is this? The one from netlib?

Yes. Please see the latest mails from debian-toolchain for context.

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
458, Jamuna Hostel,

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Thomas Weber

Am Montag, den 14.01.2008, 17:22 +0530 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:49:05AM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > > Right, so a source tarball repack is needed.
> >
> > Which blas package is this? The one from netlib?
>
> Yes. Please see the latest mails from debian-toolchain for context.

Okay, thanks for doing the grunt work. But which upstream tarball are
you using? Everything I could find at Netlib doesn't have a PDF at all.

Thanks
Thomas

Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:11:36PM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Yes. Please see the latest mails from debian-toolchain for context.
>
> Okay, thanks for doing the grunt work. But which upstream tarball are
> you using? Everything I could find at Netlib doesn't have a PDF at all.

It is a hand-made one, following the _same_ format which Camm used for
the earlier refblas. Refer these:

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-toolchain/2007/12/msg00012.html
2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-toolchain/2007/12/msg00013.html
3. dget -x http://kumar.travisbsd.org/dump/blas_1.2.new-0.2.dsc

HTH.

Kumar

Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

Colin Tuckley wrote:

I'm working on a package (blas) that contains a postscript document with no
source supplied by upstream.

Obviously I can remove the postscript file from the binary package, but is
this sufficient or do I also need to remove it from the source package -
which implies re-packaging the .orig.tar.gz

I'd like to get this right because the package was rejected when it was last
uploaded (by a previous maintainer) because of this.

I seems silly to leave out the documentation. For a library like blas you
really need it. It should be possible to extract the text from the
Postscript document using pstotext (apt-get'able)
(http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/pstotext.htm).

(I have never used pstotext, so I don't know how well it works). The
salvaged text could then be reformatted for texinfo, for example.

This leaves the problem of copyright, which I assume is independent of
format, and could possibly simply be propagated to the reformatted document.

Cheers,
Morten (aka mok0)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Michael Banck

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:13:50PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
> Colin Tuckley wrote:
>> I'm working on a package (blas) that contains a postscript document with no
>> source supplied by upstream.
>>
>> Obviously I can remove the postscript file from the binary package, but is
>> this sufficient or do I also need to remove it from the source package -
>> which implies re-packaging the .orig.tar.gz
>>
>> I'd like to get this right because the package was rejected when it was last
>> uploaded (by a previous maintainer) because of this.
>
> I seems silly to leave out the documentation. For a library like blas you
> really need it. It should be possible to extract the text from the
> Postscript document using pstotext (apt-get'able)
> (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/pstotext.htm).
>
> (I have never used pstotext, so I don't know how well it works). The
> salvaged text could then be reformatted for texinfo, for example.
>
> This leaves the problem of copyright, which I assume is independent of
> format, and could possibly simply be propagated to the reformatted
> document.

While I guess patches for this are very appreciated, the gfortran
transition shouldn't stall on this documentation issue, either.

Michael