Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Daniel Baumann

Default Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

Thanks for taking care about this.

It's also quite important to speed up live systems that use squashfs
(like debian-live), because the output of readahead can directly be used
by mksquashfs via the -sort command.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Lucas Nussbaum

On 14/01/08 at 10:50 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Today a new package to speed up the boot is available in unstable.
> The readahead binary package can speed up the boot quite significantly
> by optimizing how the hard drive is used. It make sure the kernel
> disk cache is populated as the very first thing done at boot with the
> files used during boot. To test it, install readahead, boot once with
> 'profile' as a kernel option to tune it to your boot, and then boot
> normally.

Couldn't the learning phase be started automatically if the profiling
data is not available or too old?
--
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Lucas Nussbaum]
> Couldn't the learning phase be started automatically if the profiling
> data is not available or too old?

Sure. But what is too old? It seem to be a slow process when I run
it in qemu, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to activate it
automatically.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Norbert Preining

On Mo, 14 Jan 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Sure. But what is too old? It seem to be a slow process when I run
> it in qemu, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to activate it
> automatically.

BTW, could you add some lines do README.Debian to explain how readahead
should be used for boot sequences? There is missing any form of
documentation currently?

At least on my version:
readahead 1:0.20050517.0220-1

Thanks and all the best

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Norbert Preining]
> BTW, could you add some lines do README.Debian to explain how
> readahead should be used for boot sequences? There is missing any
> form of documentation currently?

I'll see what I can do. Please submit such requests to BTS to make
sure I do not forget.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Marc Haber

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:50:12 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen
<pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>Today a new package to speed up the boot is available in unstable.
>The readahead binary package can speed up the boot quite significantly
>by optimizing how the hard drive is used. It make sure the kernel
>disk cache is populated as the very first thing done at boot with the
>files used during boot. To test it, install readahead, boot once with
>'profile' as a kernel option to tune it to your boot, and then boot
>normally.

Will this speed up waking up from hibernation as well?

Greetings
Marc, cursed with a notebook that doesn't cleanly wake up from
suspend-to-ram

Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Marc Haber]
> Will this speed up waking up from hibernation as well?

It is not involved in hibernation, as far as I know. Only during
boot.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen