-   -   Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/36867-speed-up-boot-loading-kernel-disk-cache.html)

Daniel Baumann 01-14-2008 09:17 AM

Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

Thanks for taking care about this.

It's also quite important to speed up live systems that use squashfs
(like debian-live), because the output of readahead can directly be used
by mksquashfs via the -sort command.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Lucas Nussbaum 01-14-2008 09:51 AM

On 14/01/08 at 10:50 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Today a new package to speed up the boot is available in unstable.
> The readahead binary package can speed up the boot quite significantly
> by optimizing how the hard drive is used. It make sure the kernel
> disk cache is populated as the very first thing done at boot with the
> files used during boot. To test it, install readahead, boot once with
> 'profile' as a kernel option to tune it to your boot, and then boot
> normally.

Couldn't the learning phase be started automatically if the profiling
data is not available or too old?
--
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

Petter Reinholdtsen 01-14-2008 11:47 AM

Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

[Lucas Nussbaum]
> Couldn't the learning phase be started automatically if the profiling
> data is not available or too old?

Sure. But what is too old? It seem to be a slow process when I run
it in qemu, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to activate it
automatically.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Norbert Preining 01-14-2008 12:49 PM

On Mo, 14 Jan 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Sure. But what is too old? It seem to be a slow process when I run
> it in qemu, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to activate it
> automatically.

BTW, could you add some lines do README.Debian to explain how readahead
should be used for boot sequences? There is missing any form of
documentation currently?

At least on my version:
readahead 1:0.20050517.0220-1

Thanks and all the best

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group

Petter Reinholdtsen 01-14-2008 12:58 PM

Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

[Norbert Preining]
> BTW, could you add some lines do README.Debian to explain how
> readahead should be used for boot sequences? There is missing any
> form of documentation currently?

I'll see what I can do. Please submit such requests to BTS to make
sure I do not forget. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Marc Haber 01-17-2008 12:36 PM

Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:50:12 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen
<pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>Today a new package to speed up the boot is available in unstable.
>The readahead binary package can speed up the boot quite significantly
>by optimizing how the hard drive is used. It make sure the kernel
>disk cache is populated as the very first thing done at boot with the
>files used during boot. To test it, install readahead, boot once with
>'profile' as a kernel option to tune it to your boot, and then boot
>normally.

Will this speed up waking up from hibernation as well?

Greetings
Marc, cursed with a notebook that doesn't cleanly wake up from
suspend-to-ram

Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/

Petter Reinholdtsen 01-17-2008 02:18 PM

Speed up the boot by loading the kernel disk cache

[Marc Haber]
> Will this speed up waking up from hibernation as well?

It is not involved in hibernation, as far as I know. Only during
boot.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen