Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Bilal Akhtar

Default ITP: gnome-media-player -- GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines.

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Bilal Akhtar <bilalakhtar96@yahoo.com>

* Package name : gnome-media-player
Version : 0.1.2
Upstream Author : Michael Lamothe <michael.lamothe@gmail.com>
* License : GPLv3
Programming Lang: C++
Description : GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for
GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer
engines.

GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports
playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines. It has the
ability to switch between the engines in the GUI, and features an engine
Auto-select mode, which automatically selects the best engine for
playing the selected file.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Julien Cristau

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 18:25:15 +0300, Bilal Akhtar wrote:

> Description : GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for
> GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer
> engines.

This is not a short description. Try to make it fit in a line.

> GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports
> playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines. It has the
> ability to switch between the engines in the GUI, and features an engine
> Auto-select mode, which automatically selects the best engine for
> playing the selected file.

And this makes it sounds like a pretty pointless piece of software...

Cheers,
Julien

Old 05-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:58 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 18:25:15 +0300, Bilal Akhtar wrote:
>
> > Package name : gnome-media-player

I find the package name extremely misleading: There is already a "Gnome
Media Player": Gnome's Totem.

BTW, do we really need yet another media player? If you follow GNOME HID
(like Totem) and use the same back-ends as Totem, the two applications
are very likely to be pretty identical (?) Why not contributing to totem
directly?

> > Version : 0.1.2
> > Description : GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for
> > GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer
> > engines.
>
> This is not a short description. Try to make it fit in a line.

I suggest: "simple media player for GNOME and Gtk+."

Actually, I don't get the impression that "simple" is appropriate. The
launchpad page mention:
| The goal is to combine multiple engines into a consistent user
| interface so users can switch between engines without having to
| retrain themselves to use a different UI."
That seems to be the "unique" feature of the tool.

> > GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports
> > playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines.

> It has the ability to switch between the engines in the GUI,

This statement is strange for a package which is advertized as "GNOME
Media Player". You could drop this statement and just mention that it's
for GNOME and Gtk+

> > ... and features an engine Auto-select mode, which automatically
> > selects the best engine for playing the selected file.

I am not a native English speaker, but that could be worded in a simpler
way.

> And this makes it sounds like a pretty pointless piece of software...

* The description should state that it is "a replacement for GNOME's
official media player (totem)" (or something similar, to mention
that it isn't the "official media player")
* The description should mention that the software is still in "early
development stage", then mention the consequences (missing feature,
unstable, ...)

my 2 cents,

Franklin