Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Florian Weimer

Default /usr/bin/mail policy

bts from devscripts invokes mail with an -a flag, which has different
meanings in bsd-mailx and heirloom-mailx (the latter being some
sort-of-default in squeeze installations, apparently).

I'm not sure which package is at fault here. Any suggestions?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
James Vega

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> bts from devscripts invokes mail with an -a flag, which has different
> meanings in bsd-mailx and heirloom-mailx (the latter being some
> sort-of-default in squeeze installations, apparently).

This has been brought up in #577564 as well. The subject is a little
misleading since, at the time, I was under the impression mailx provided
the functionality we needed while mail didn't.

> I'm not sure which package is at fault here. *Any suggestions?

This is done to add extra headers to the mail being sent. The
User-Agent header is always added and when --no-ack is specified the
X-Debbugs-No-Ack header is also added.

Since heirloom-mailx (and any mailx following the POSIX spec) doesn't
have a way to specify extra headers, I've been considering changing
this. X-Debbugs-No-Ack can be set as a pseudo-header and the User-Agent
header was only added in response to #493884. While the User-Agent
header is useful, I could see backing out this change so bts doesn't
require the non-standard -a flag.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>

Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Bernd Eckenfels

In article <o2r14ccba101005070944n110cd9a2w4c5ee6a1c6cd6879@m ail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Since heirloom-mailx (and any mailx following the POSIX spec) doesn't
> have a way to specify extra headers

What about using /usr/sbin/sendmail?

Gruss
Bernd

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 PM
James Vega

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <bernd-10@eckenfels.net> wrote:
> In article <o2r14ccba101005070944n110cd9a2w4c5ee6a1c6cd6879@m ail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> Since heirloom-mailx (and any mailx following the POSIX spec) doesn't
>> have a way to specify extra headers
>
> What about using /usr/sbin/sendmail?

Currently, our mail sending mechanisms fall into two categories:
either $DEBEMAIL or $EMAIL is set or they aren't. For the former, one
of mutt, sendmail, or a direct smtp connection is used to send the
email. For the latter, we use mail to generate a From address for us
and send the email.

If people consider it acceptable to require $DEBEMAIL or $EMAIL to be
set, then I have no problem removing our use of the mail command.