Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Alexey Salmin

Default Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 09:47:36AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 06 mai 2010 * 21:11 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
>> > These days, the init.d script dependencies in Squeeze are quite
>> > complete, so complete that it is actually possible to run all the
>> > init.d scripts in parallell based on these dependencies. *If you want
>> > to test your Squeeze system, make sure dependency based boot
>> > sequencing is enabled, and add this line to /etc/default/rcS:
>> >
>> > * CONCURRENCY=makefile
>>
>> Seems to work fine for me. However the gain isn’t really important,
>> given that the critical path includes fsck and networking.
>
> And kernel+initramfs. That's more than half the boot time (without
> even CONCURRENCY=makefile) here.

AFAIK the main idea right now is not to significantly speed up the
boot process but to move from obsolete lexicographic script ordering
and keep up with event-driven trends in the kernel. It's important to
test new infrastructure carefully and spread it across Debian users,
after that we can work on further improvements like decreasing the
boot time. I'm not a insserv developer though, please correct me if I
get it wrong.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Paul Wise

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:
>> The init.d world has changed quite a bit in recent years and might
>> change even more in the next, it is possible that for Squeeze+1 we'll
>> want to be elsewhere than at CONCURRENCY=makefile.
>
> Yet again?

Other distros are using upstart:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

There are more interesting ideas on the horizon too:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Luca Niccoli

On 8 May 2010 19:07, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> Perhaps you are right. *Perhaps we should do a poll to collect
> information on how testers experience their boot with
> CONCURRENCY=makefile, to make it easier to switch with some confidence
> that it would work for most users.

It just came to my mind that it would be nice if popularity-contest
had some plug-in way to test this kind of things.
That would be very useful in this case, for you could see which
daemons are installed on system with CONCURRENCY=makefile and get an
idea of which daemon combinations are bug-free WRT it.
Cheers,

Luca

Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Stefano Canepa

On 7 May 2010 10:33, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
>> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:
>>> The init.d world has changed quite a bit in recent years and might
>>> change even more in the next, it is possible that for Squeeze+1 we'll
>>> want to be elsewhere than at CONCURRENCY=makefile.
>>
>> Yet again?
>
> Other distros are using upstart:
>
> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

I'm trying it on my netbook but I'm not so happy with it as it's not
so easy to manage what you want to start at boot time.

> There are more interesting ideas on the horizon too:
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd

It looks interesting.

Bye
Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc@linux.it - http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.