Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Tollef Fog Heen

Default bindv6only again

]] Salvo Tomaselli

| > And handling bindv6only is absolutely trivial.
|
| Right, but there are many others sysctl options, why should the apps
| deal with this particular one and not with the others?

They should.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
David Weinehall

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:39:46PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Salvo Tomaselli
>
> | On Thursday 13 May 2010 17:54:04 Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | > Because it does not handle non-default values. This is just like an
> | > application that didn't handle IFS or PATH being different from its
> | > default value would be buggy.
> |
> | Do you know what happens if you move /bin/mkdir to /usr/bin/mkdir?
>
> Why is this relevant? If you remove a POSIX-defined utility from $PATH,
> your system is no longer POSIX-compliant, not to mention a fully-working
> Debian system.

Last time I checked, /usr/bin is also part of default $PATH...

[snip]

Regards: David
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window (
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ // Diamond-white roses of fire //

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Saturday 15 May 2010 12:09:47 David Weinehall wrote:
> Last time I checked, /usr/bin is also part of default $PATH...
Tricky, it becomes part of it later, not from the beginning.
But that wasn't the point. The point was that if an admin changes something to
a non-standard behavior, then has to live with the consequences.

Bye

--
Salvo Tomaselli