Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Radu Spineanu

Default #573127 sphinxsearch should use prefix for utlilities

Hi.

sphinxsearch is a package that provides binaries like searchd, indexer, etc.

I received bug report #573127 which has the correct intention behind it
that the binaries should be prefixed.

The problem I am seeing is that any change like this would affect
modules, plugins, and a lot of programs that interact with SphinxSearch.
My particular use case is in Rails where searchd is a hardcoded value in
plugins that interact with the daemon.

What I want to do is mark the bug as wontfix and Conflicts mongosearch-*.

But I am looking for second opinions. What do you think?

--
Thanks,
R.

P.S. Could you please CC me. -devel is too much traffic for me.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 AM
"Dmitry E. Oboukhov"

RS> sphinxsearch is a package that provides binaries like searchd, indexer, etc.

RS> I received bug report #573127 which has the correct
RS> intention behind it that the binaries should be
RS> prefixed.

RS> The problem I am seeing is that any change like this
RS> would affect modules, plugins, and a lot of programs
RS> that interact with SphinxSearch. My particular use case
RS> is in Rails where searchd is a hardcoded value in
RS> plugins that interact with the daemon.

I think now there are few programs which have dependencies
on sphinxsearch. On new program we can file bugreports
I think that the patch of Rails will be simple.

RS> What I want to do is mark the bug as wontfix and Conflicts mongosearch-*.

I think it would be wrong idea. User would want install both packages.
Also, next time we will be able to find out other searchd/indexer
programs and will be forced to add another conflicts. I think that
this problem should be resolved now, when we have few users and few
dependencies.

RS> But I am looking for second opinions. What do you think?

Another way: using prefixes in deb-package and add alternative for
name searchd/indexer/etc. But this case You should file a bugreport
for mnogosearch-* to to the same.

--
... mpd is off

. '`. Dmitry E. Oboukhov
: :’ : email: unera@debian.org jabber://UNera@uvw.ru
`. `~’ GPGKey: 1024D / F8E26537 2006-11-21
`- 1B23 D4F8 8EC0 D902 0555 E438 AB8C 00CF F8E2 6537

Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Paul Wise

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Radu Spineanu <radu@debian.org> wrote:

> sphinxsearch is a package that provides binaries like searchd, indexer, etc.
>
> I received bug report #573127 which has the correct intention behind it that
> the binaries should be prefixed.

Upstream should have used much less generic binary names in the first
place. Please co-ordinate with sphinxsearch upstream to transition to
new names. Since there are no reverse-dependencies in Debian (rails
doesn't mention it), the transition would probably not take very long.

Both conflicts and alternatives are the wrong approach IMO.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise