Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Hendrik Sattler

Default PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

Zitat von Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>:

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

Pdf "anti-features" are fake security. Don't trust on them, never.

And what do you suggest if one wants some real protection _and_ the
benefits of a format like PDF? Thanks.

The PDF specification itself recommends using external encryption in
this case. From section 7.6.1 of the PDF specification:

NOTE: Conforming writers have two choices if the encryption methods
and syntax provided by PDF are not sufficient for their needs: they
can provide an alternate security handler or they can encrypt whole
PDF documents themselves, not making use of PDF security.

It is very easy to defeat PDF security in any file that has a blank user
password since it is just up to the application to enforce security.
I've written a detailed explanation of this which I can dig up and send
you if you're interested.

How could encryption make it possible to view it but prevent printing it?

HS

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 20 avril 2010 * 12:37 +0200, Salvo Tomaselli a écrit :
> In my opinion, the more safety checks there are, the more stupid the users
> become.
> Without safety they have to be awake and careful to what they are doing.

I’ve witnessed the exact opposite. The more stupid users are, the more
intelligence you have to put in software.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :