Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

Hi,

I have written a PDF that I have blocked for printing, etc. Acrobat
Reader won't print it, because of the restrictions defined on the PDF
file's content. However, KPDF accepts printing it, and extracting
content from it, etc., even if these actions are unauthorized with
acroread. Is it normal?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work, and you'll annoy the
pig.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Neil Williams

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:31:30 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written a PDF that I have blocked for printing, etc. Acrobat
> Reader won't print it, because of the restrictions defined on the PDF
> file's content. However, KPDF accepts printing it, and extracting
> content from it, etc., even if these actions are unauthorized with
> acroread. Is it normal?

Anti-features like locking and password protection are not supported
and, if implemented, could make the free software tools appear non-free
by restricting the functionality available to the user. In this case,
the needs of the user outweigh the restrictive tendencies of the writer
of the original format. There are no other formats in Debian (AFAICT)
which try to prevent only some documents of that format from being
printed. Removal or ignoring the addition of code to support such
restrictions is a feature in free software IMHO. All PDF's should be
printable by free software.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I Rattan

I have written a PDF that I have blocked for printing, etc. Acrobat
Reader won't print it, because of the restrictions defined on the PDF
file's content. However, KPDF accepts printing it, and extracting
content from it, etc., even if these actions are unauthorized with
acroread. Is it normal?

yes.

-ishwar

Archive: Pine.GSO.4.64.1004190943350.11072@cps155.cps.cmich .edu">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.GSO.4.64.1004190943350.11072@cps155.cps.cmich .edu

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Merciadri Luca

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:31:30 +0200
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>

> Anti-features like locking and password protection are not supported
> and, if implemented, could make the free software tools appear non-free
> by restricting the functionality available to the user. In this case,
> the needs of the user outweigh the restrictive tendencies of the writer
> of the original format. There are no other formats in Debian (AFAICT)
> which try to prevent only some documents of that format from being
> printed. Removal or ignoring the addition of code to support such
> restrictions is a feature in free software IMHO. All PDF's should be
> printable by free software.

Thanks. I can understand this point of view, but, sometimes, such
anti-features can be activated for safety reasons. This is the first
time I have to do it, but it was necessary, at least until friday.

Thanks,

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Merciadri Luca

I Rattan wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
> yes.
Thanks. I assume that this is for the same reason as Mr. Williams
pointed out. Are _all_ the free PDF viewers running under Debian in
accordance with this principle?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

As soon as a man is born, he begins to die.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Merciadri Luca schreef:

Neil Williams wrote:

[...]

Pdf "anti-features" are fake security. Don't trust on them, never.

Sjoerd