Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Hamish Moffatt

Default electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:22:19PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
>> Err, like you did already for games, as you said. I see in the
>> standard GNOME gnome-applications.menu.
>>
>> It appears that the Technical menu should include at least;
>> - Science
>> - Engineering
>> - Math
>> - HamRadio
>> - Electronics
>
> And here we have good chances for a flame because I as a user would
> not expect Science and Math under a main menu "Technical". I'd rather
> see "Science" as a main menu entry and find "Math" below this. I

By the way, our main aim in proposing the original electronics-menu
package was simply to get these packages out of Other and into a
relevant menu. I imagine that Science is suffering similarly.

I would be happy to get a simple solution in place before working on the
larger problems of different user views etc.

Hamish

Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:32:07PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodr*guez a écrit :
> And another flame decission chance comes when you have to decide if an
> application should be under , e.g., Education/electronics or
> Technical/Electronics. As an example, where do you think qucs[1] should
> be placed? It's wonderfull to study at a deep level how solid state
> circuits work, but also wonderful for secondary school children to study
> and simulate digital and analogic circuits...

Hi all,

Some people use Debian to learn, and some other to work. I think that
the people who work do not expect their tools in the "Educational" menu,
even if their salary is payed by a university. My understanding of
"Educational" tools is programs whose sole purpose is to learn and
study, otherwise we should move OpenOffice in "Educational" in the
computers used for training people at the use of office software.

Then, the question wether some tools are scientifical or technical is in
my opinion unsolvable. I would favor a Science & Technique menu if this
is not tool long in terms of number of characters. Acutally, is is a bit
frustrating that the software developpers who wrote the standard have
given a menu entry to their own professional tools, "Development", while
other professions have not this facility (except for secretaries and
graphists). Maybe we simply need a "Pro" mode in the menus, that are
obviously very "Home"… but this makes us far from our original goal.

I have updated the wiki page http://wiki.debian.org/ExtraMenus with some
details from the standard and some parts of the current discussion. If
we want to keep things simple, and if mechanisms exist to automatically
create sub-menus using the "Additional" categories (see the wiki) when
there are too many entries, I would propose to keep things as simple as
possible and to promote 'Science & Technics' as a "Main" category.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team