-   -   libFOO-BAR naming convention (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/3567-libfoo-bar-naming-convention.html)

"Jeremiah Foster" 11-23-2007 01:19 PM

libFOO-BAR naming convention

Hello,

> I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
> for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
> in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
> arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
> libsqlite-ocaml.)
>
> Could one point me to where this recommendation is given?

In the perl policy document[0] it states:

"Perl module packages should be named for the primary module provided.
The naming convention for module Foo::Bar is libfoo-bar-perl. Packages
which include multiple modules may additionally include provides for
those modules using the same convention."

HTH

Jeremiah

[0]
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packag
es.html#s-package_names

Loc Minier 11-23-2007 01:30 PM

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
> for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
> in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
> arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
> libsqlite-ocaml.)

This depends on the language; chech the sub-policy for each language --
unless you're preparing packages for a new language? e.g. perl and
java will use *-perl and *-java, but python notably uses python-*
obviously.

--
Loc Minier

"Jeremiah Foster" 11-23-2007 01:31 PM

Ivan Shmakov 11-23-2007 06:30 PM

libFOO-BAR naming convention

>> I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages for a
>> particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention in
>> Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an arbitrary
>> common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or libsqlite-ocaml.)

> This depends on the language; chech the sub-policy for each
> language -- unless you're preparing packages for a new language?

Sort of. I'm planning to spend some time preparing Debian
packages for Chicken extensions.

> e.g. perl and java will use *-perl and *-java, but python notably
> uses python-* obviously.

Thanks!