-   -   document meaning of transition? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/356101-document-meaning-transition.html)

Thomas Koch 04-13-2010 07:29 AM

document meaning of transition?

Hi Raphael,

I'm reading debian-devel to get to know all that's needed to become a Debian
Developer. I noticed, that I did not find any documentation about transitions
or their workflow and that I can only guess, what this thread is about.
Maybe this is something that would be worth to be written down?

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Joachim Wiedorn 04-13-2010 01:16 PM

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:

> I'm reading debian-devel to get to know all that's needed to become a Debian
> Developer. I noticed, that I did not find any documentation about transitions
> or their workflow and that I can only guess, what this thread is about.
> Maybe this is something that would be worth to be written down?

You need the New-Maintainer (NM) process to become DD.
Details can be found here: http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

Fondest regards,
Joachim Wiedorn

Raphael Hertzog 04-14-2010 10:11 AM

document meaning of transition?

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Thomas Koch wrote:
> I'm reading debian-devel to get to know all that's needed to become a Debian
> Developer. I noticed, that I did not find any documentation about transitions
> or their workflow and that I can only guess, what this thread is about.

Reading debian-devel-announce and the release related mails might have
given you some hints on what a transition is.

> Maybe this is something that would be worth to be written down?

Are you volunteering to document this in the developers-reference for
example? :)

A transition happen when a (backwards) incompatible change needs to be
performed and when it's affecting several packages (typically a package
rename due to an ABI change of a library). Usually it implies
that the whole set of package has to migrate together in testing.

For the sake of the release manager's sanity they have to be coordinated
and planned, otherwise they get entangled together and it's getting very
difficul to migrate updated packages to testing.

Cheers,
--
RaphaŽl Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/