Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Tomasz Muras

Default debconf vs cdebconf

Hi,

Hopefully a very quick questions (please CC me in response):
* should I use cdebconf for new packages, or debconf?
* is there any documentation for cdebconf available?

cheers and thanks!
Tomek

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Neil Williams

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:41:20 +0100
Tomasz Muras <tomasz@muras.eu> wrote:

> Hopefully a very quick questions (please CC me in response):
> * should I use cdebconf for new packages, or debconf?
> * is there any documentation for cdebconf available?

The protocol works equally with debconf or cdebconf. As far as the
packages are concerned, there's no need to write for one or the other.
Personally, I know of a few problems oustanding before cdebconf can be
used without debconf installed but those are not related to how the
protocol itself is used. The documentation you need is for the protocol.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Christian PERRIER

Quoting Tomasz Muras (tomasz@muras.eu):
> Hi,
>
> Hopefully a very quick questions (please CC me in response):
> * should I use cdebconf for new packages, or debconf?

Well, as Neil already answered: none of these. Your package should
work with both. If you're using debhelper, that's easy to achieve: add
"${miscepends}" to each binary package dependencies and correct
dependencies will be added automagically (including for debconf).

There's actually a good lintian test about this.

More general note: if your binary packages have both "${miscepends}"
*and* "debconf | debconf-2.0", you can remove the latter.