Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Russell Coker

Default Xen not booting in Unstable

I have tried to run three systems with the new Xen kernel from Unstable and
the xen-hypervisor-3.4-i386 from Testing. One of them is working reasonably
well. The other two just reboot shortly after loading the Xen kernel (long
before it gets anywhere near mounting the root filesystem).

Broken system A displays something briefly on screen before rebooting. Broken
system B just goes black and reboots. System A is using the old version of
GRUB as is the working Xen server. System B is using the new version of GRUB
(it's a fresh install of Testing) with the "multiboot" option to load the Xen
kernel.

So System B's problem could be due to GRUB but System A is happily running the
Lenny version of Xen and GRUB seems to be working fine.

What is the best way of tracking down Xen fail to boot bugs?

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog

Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Ian Campbell

pkg-xen-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org is probably a better bet for Xen
issues (CCd) than xen-devel.

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 22:36 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> I have tried to run three systems with the new Xen kernel from Unstable and
> the xen-hypervisor-3.4-i386 from Testing. One of them is working reasonably
> well. The other two just reboot shortly after loading the Xen kernel (long
> before it gets anywhere near mounting the root filesystem).
>
> Broken system A displays something briefly on screen before rebooting. Broken
> system B just goes black and reboots. System A is using the old version of
> GRUB as is the working Xen server. System B is using the new version of GRUB
> (it's a fresh install of Testing) with the "multiboot" option to load the Xen
> kernel.
>
> So System B's problem could be due to GRUB but System A is happily running the
> Lenny version of Xen and GRUB seems to be working fine.
>
> What is the best way of tracking down Xen fail to boot bugs?

A serial console log would be very useful if you have the hardware
capability. Otherwise adding "noreboot" to the hypervisor command line
(xenhopt in /boot/grub/menu.lst or by hand) will allow you to catch the
error displayed on system A which may help in that case. It's possible
there will be something on system B which is too quick to see as well or
at least see how far you get before the crash.

2.6.32-11 was uploaded yesterday which and included a refresh of the Xen
domain 0 kernel patchset with a bunch of fixes. Did you pick that up or
were you still on -10 at the time?

If you manage to get any logs it is worth including xen-devel as well,
there have been various bug shaken down recently on the list, partially
as a result of the inclusion in unstable I think.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
-- Tallulah Bankhead

Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Bastian Blank

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:36:41PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> What is the best way of tracking down Xen fail to boot bugs?

By providing all information the relevant packages (xen and linux)
requests and reporting to the maintainers of this packages instead of
the general public.

However the symtoms looks like it may have been fixed in -11.

Bastian

--
Another dream that failed. There's nothing sadder.
-- Kirk, "This side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3