Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Apr 08, Hendrik Sattler <post@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:

> I also don't really see the issues with bindv6only=0. If you listen on
> all interfaces, it makes is easier. If you only listen on specific
> interfaces, it's not in the way.
This is not true, the big problem with bindv6only=0 is that you will get
IPv4 connections mapped in IPv6 so applications need to convert the
addresses everywhere (logs, ACLs processing, etc).

> Just let any application which cannot cope with it install another file
> in /etc that sets it back to 0. Let's have a configuration file war :-(
I am not aware of any Debian package which still has not been fixed.

I will be happy to re-evaluate this at the time of the freeze if it will
be determined that setting bindv6only=1 by default will have a
noticeable impact on the general system usability.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Friday 09 April 2010 16:14:57 Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I will be happy to re-evaluate this at the time of the freeze if it will
> be determined that setting bindv6only=1 by default will have a
> noticeable impact on the general system usability.
Have you considered that some people might want to use software that has not
been patched for debian?
And some people might want to develop software.

For those categories (and of course don't expect them to read some lost debian
documentation page, or even worst, the mailing list) debian would just be a
distribution that for some mysterious reason, doesn't work as it should.

Bye

--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM

On Apr 09, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:

> > I will be happy to re-evaluate this at the time of the freeze if it will
> > be determined that setting bindv6only=1 by default will have a
> > noticeable impact on the general system usability.
> Have you considered that some people might want to use software that has not
> been patched for debian?
Yes, impact on third-party software will be considered as well.

> And some people might want to develop software.
They will have an opportunity to develop more portable software.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Julien Cristau

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 16:14:57 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> I am not aware of any Debian package which still has not been fixed.

xdmcp is still broken in at least gdm and xdm (I've got patches for
both, but they're not in sid).

Cheers,
Julien

Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Hendrik Sattler

Am Freitag 09 April 2010 18:29:40 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> They will have an opportunity to develop more portable software.

Actually not. They'll just assume that binding the port first for IPv4, then
for IPv6 will work. Eventually, they'll be surprised that it fails elsewhere
(notably those that stick to the _documented_ default value).
As already noted, there are already systems with another default but with a
specific reason for such a choice. I don't see such a reason for Debian (a bug
in kfreebsd isn't one).

HS

Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Marc Haber

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 18:29:40 +0200, md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>On Apr 09, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:
>> And some people might want to develop software.
>They will have an opportunity to develop more portable software.

Reality Check, Please. They will happily switch to CentOS or Windows
instead since they won't understand what's going on.

Greetings
Marc

Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Friday 09 April 2010 18:29:40 Marco d'Itri wrote:
> They will have an opportunity to develop more portable software.

My little real life example:

I tried to compile weborf on opensolaris, and i was expecting it to compile
and work without any problem, because i was only using POSIX calls.
It wasn't so easy: because of a bug in their .h files, i had to rearrange the
includes to make it compile.

True, now my software is more portable, but since i've also find out that the
problem with the header files was known to them and they didn't fix it in a
long while, i also don't recommend to anyone to use opensolaris.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Wouter Verhelst

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 04:14:57PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Apr 08, Hendrik Sattler <post@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:
>
> > I also don't really see the issues with bindv6only=0. If you listen on
> > all interfaces, it makes is easier. If you only listen on specific
> > interfaces, it's not in the way.
> This is not true, the big problem with bindv6only=0 is that you will get
> IPv4 connections mapped in IPv6 so applications need to convert the
> addresses everywhere (logs, ACLs processing, etc).

They don't *need* to do that. It can just be documented that if you use
IPv6, you need to use the v4-in-v6-mapped syntaxis.

Granted, that's a bit ugly, but it does work.

trying to fool the system.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Salvo Tomaselli

On Sunday 11 April 2010 12:42:01 Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> They don't *need* to do that. It can just be documented that if you use
> IPv6, you need to use the v4-in-v6-mapped syntaxis.

IMHO i think that using the mapped syntax can bring some consistency rather
than having logs and configuration files with two different kinds of addresses
that should be treated differently by the program, when reading the
configuration, and by the log analyser tools.
And of course if a program handles IPv6, there will be the need to deal with
IPv6 addresses in logs and configuration.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli

Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 PM

On Apr 11, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> They don't *need* to do that. It can just be documented that if you use
> IPv6, you need to use the v4-in-v6-mapped syntaxis.
>
> Granted, that's a bit ugly, but it does work.
It is not just ugly, it is also stupid because it means that existing
configurations will not work anymore depending on the installed kernel.

--
ciao,
Marco