Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Andreas Metzler

Default SElinux support for findutils.

Hello,

upstream has included SEliux support in GNU findutils 4.5.7, i.e.:

-context pattern
(SELinux only) Security context of the file matches glob pat-
tern.

-printf format
%Z (SELinux only) file's security context.

This requires linkage against libselinux1. There is no problem with
priorities, both packages are Priority: required.

Since findutils is essential, the respective dependency ends up in
Pre-Depends. Which is why I am starting discussion on d-d. Personally
I do not care a lot. I am not using SElinux but the feature has been
explicitely requested by a user in #572809.

cu andreas

PS: I will upload 4.5.7 to experimental with the SElinux
support soonish. This should not be read as me ignoring the outcome of
this discussion, I am just giving it a test in experimental.
so grateful to you.'

Old 04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Santiago Vila

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> upstream has included SEliux support in GNU findutils 4.5.7, i.e.:
>
> -context pattern
> (SELinux only) Security context of the file matches glob pat-
> tern.
>
> -printf format
> %Z (SELinux only) file's security context.
>
> This requires linkage against libselinux1. There is no problem with
> priorities, both packages are Priority: required.
>
> Since findutils is essential, the respective dependency ends up in
> Pre-Depends. Which is why I am starting discussion on d-d. Personally
> I do not care a lot. I am not using SElinux but the feature has been
> explicitely requested by a user in #572809.

This is not a "new pre-depends" strictly speaking, as essential packages
using pre-depends on libraries has been standard practice for a lot of
time now, so I'd say: go ahead.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Metzler wrote:

[...]
>> This requires linkage against libselinux1. There is no problem with
>> priorities, both packages are Priority: required.
>>
>> Since findutils is essential, the respective dependency ends up in
>> Pre-Depends. Which is why I am starting discussion on d-d. Personally
>> I do not care a lot. I am not using SElinux but the feature has been
>> explicitely requested by a user in #572809.
>
> This is not a "new pre-depends" strictly speaking,

I thought the point of discussing pre-depends in advance was to

(1) discourage using pre-depends, since they can make upgrades slower
or in the worst case impossible; and

(2) make it very difficult to produce a Pre-Depends loop by accident.

So I am not sure where the question of novelty comes in.

> so I'd say: go ahead.

Still, I agree with the conclusion. This sounds to me like useful
functionality for systems with SELinux enabled, implemented in a good
way.

IANADD, HTH, HAND,
Jonathan