Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Christian PERRIER

Default Hardware trouble ries.debian.org - ftpmaster.debian.org / release.d.o services back this weekend

Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):
> Laurent Léonard <laurent@open-minds.org> writes:
>
> > I'm not really aware about the hardware problem there was on
> > ries.debian.org (solved by changing the mainboard ?), but I'm surprised
> > there is no 6, 12 or at least 24-hours on-site support included with a
> > 20 000 dollars server...
>
> I believe there is, but the first few things tried to fix the server
> didn't work. Sadly, this is not that unusual.

On can add that, even if the server have a high level support, the
people who are managing the servers (DSA, local admins) do the Debian
work on their spare time (there are big chances that they have a paid
work) and most are doing the work remotely.

That usually doesn't help to be very fast when hardware issues involve
local actions.

Also,of course, as you pointed, the problems were not obvious to
identify at the beginning.

I use this occasion to thank our DSA and FTPmaster teams for the hard
work involved to solve out these issues. That has been great jobs,
folks.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Luca Filipozzi

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 07:58:58AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):
> > Laurent Léonard <laurent@open-minds.org> writes:
> >
> > > ries.debian.org (solved by changing the mainboard ?), but I'm
> > > surprised there is no 6, 12 or at least 24-hours on-site support
> > > included with a 20 000 dollars server...
> >
> > I believe there is, but the first few things tried to fix the server
> > didn't work. Sadly, this is not that unusual.
>
> On can add that, even if the server have a high level support, the
> people who are managing the servers (DSA, local admins) do the Debian
> work on their spare time (there are big chances that they have a paid
> work) and most are doing the work remotely.
>
> That usually doesn't help to be very fast when hardware issues involve
> local actions.
>
> Also,of course, as you pointed, the problems were not obvious to
> identify at the beginning.
>
> I use this occasion to thank our DSA and FTPmaster teams for the hard
> work involved to solve out these issues. That has been great jobs,
> folks.

Christian: thanks. The local admins were fantastic. Without them,
DSA would not be able to do anything.

Laurent: To have a four-hour support arrangement, we need both hosting
provider and vendor agreements.

ries is located at Brown University. Brown provides free hosting,
bandwidth and remote intelligent hands. They have provided exemplary
support but it doesn't include (nor should we have an expectation that
it includes) 4-hour response.

ries is covered by a next business day post-warranty support agreement
with the vendor.

There were two contributing factors to time between problem occurrence
and problem resolution: (1) back and forth with the vendor in an attempt
to diagnose the true fault (initial diagnosis was faulty DIMMs;
subsequent diagnosis was faulty mainboard) and (2) once diagnosed,
shipping delays (parts ordered morning of 30th, but arrived on 2nd).

Turns out that both the mainboard and two DIMMs are faulty, which is a
strange pairing unless there was a lightning strike (apparently not).

One should also take in mind that things like this happen very seldom,
and that the cost-benefit of a four-hour support agreement with the
vendor may not be warranted... especially considering that the hosting
provider may not be available to provide access (if we want this, we
should find a commercial provider with 24/7 staffing). Even then, there
needs to be a diagnosis of the problem - which will also take time. In
this case, ries ran for a few hours after we removed a few / moved
around the remaining DIMMs - a vexing false positive.

I hope that this information proves helpful.

On behalf of the DSA team,

Luca and Martin

--
Luca Filipozzi

Old 04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Andreas Metzler

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> updates sent to the -devel list, or maybe even just be the slightly-less
> activity on our mirrors, our ftpmaster host had been down. And for some
> reason I said

>> Will send a notice when service is back to normal.

> and so here I am.
[...]

Thanks to everybody involved for fixing this and thanks to you for
keeping us posted.
cu andreas

Old 04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Hi Luca,

Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@debian.org> (03/04/2010):
> I hope that this information proves helpful.

terribly. That's the kind of mail which helps getting facts straight,
and helps getting a grip on real-life administration-related issues.

Thanks.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Brian Nelson

Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@debian.org> writes:

> ries is located at Brown University. Brown provides free hosting,
> bandwidth and remote intelligent hands. They have provided exemplary
> support but it doesn't include (nor should we have an expectation that
> it includes) 4-hour response.
>
> ries is covered by a next business day post-warranty support agreement
> with the vendor.
>
> There were two contributing factors to time between problem occurrence
> and problem resolution: (1) back and forth with the vendor in an attempt
> to diagnose the true fault (initial diagnosis was faulty DIMMs;
> subsequent diagnosis was faulty mainboard) and (2) once diagnosed,
> shipping delays (parts ordered morning of 30th, but arrived on 2nd).

The entire state of Rhode Island being underwater on March 30-31 due to
some historic flooding probably had a little something to do with
the shipping delays...

--
Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.