-   -   Hardware trouble ries.debian.org - ftpmaster.debian.org / release.d.o services back this weekend (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/350967-hardware-trouble-ries-debian-org-ftpmaster-debian-org-release-d-o-services-back-weekend.html)

Joerg Jaspert 04-02-2010 11:37 PM

Hardware trouble ries.debian.org - ftpmaster.debian.org / release.d.o services back this weekend

Hello,

as you might have noticed from my mail some days ago or the various
updates sent to the -devel list, or maybe even just be the slightly-less
activity on our mirrors, our ftpmaster host had been down. And for some
reason I said

> Will send a notice when service is back to normal.

and so here I am. After a set of ping-pong games with the support there
finally was a technician who applied some magic and some hardware
changes to the machine. Our DSA team then run a whole set of the
testsuite for the server and it all appeared to work nicely (prior tests
always died). Right now the machine is doing a full fsck run, just in
case, and after that it will be available normally again.

I expect the services on it to be back in action somewhere during the
Saturday, at latest Sunday. For example we FTPMaster have to check the
whole archive consistency and it simply takes time to wade through some
multiple hundred thousands of files.

A little sidenote: Our Uploadqueue is currently holding 7.3Gb, so you
will definitely see a few changes arrive in the archive as soon as I
restart it. :)

Thank you all for your patience during this time. Thanks also to DSA and
especially the local admins at brown.edu helping us through this.

--
bye, Joerg
I’m a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how

Laurent Léonard 04-03-2010 12:24 AM

Le samedi 03 avril 2010 01:37:40, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> as you might have noticed from my mail some days ago or the various
> updates sent to the -devel list, or maybe even just be the slightly-less
> activity on our mirrors, our ftpmaster host had been down. And for some
> reason I said
>
> > Will send a notice when service is back to normal.
>
> and so here I am. After a set of ping-pong games with the support there
> finally was a technician who applied some magic and some hardware
> changes to the machine. Our DSA team then run a whole set of the
> testsuite for the server and it all appeared to work nicely (prior tests
> always died). Right now the machine is doing a full fsck run, just in
> case, and after that it will be available normally again.
>
> I expect the services on it to be back in action somewhere during the
> Saturday, at latest Sunday. For example we FTPMaster have to check the
> whole archive consistency and it simply takes time to wade through some
> multiple hundred thousands of files.
>
> A little sidenote: Our Uploadqueue is currently holding 7.3Gb, so you
> will definitely see a few changes arrive in the archive as soon as I
> restart it. :)
>
> Thank you all for your patience during this time. Thanks also to DSA and
> especially the local admins at brown.edu helping us through this.

Great news !

I'm not really aware about the hardware problem there was on ries.debian.org
(solved by changing the mainboard ?), but I'm surprised there is no 6, 12 or
at least 24-hours on-site support included with a 20 000 dollars server...
It's not a 2 or 3 days downtime, the ftp-master service is down since 25 March
so it's a 10 days downtime... I agree that ftp-master service is not really
really critical to Debian, but I'm sure some work on packages and tests had to
be delayed because of that problem. I'm just wondering why 10 days are needed
to solve a hardware problem on a server, please correct me if I'm wrong or if
I missed something...

--
Laurent Léonard

Russ Allbery 04-03-2010 12:32 AM

Laurent Léonard <laurent@open-minds.org> writes:

> I'm not really aware about the hardware problem there was on
> ries.debian.org (solved by changing the mainboard ?), but I'm surprised
> there is no 6, 12 or at least 24-hours on-site support included with a
> 20 000 dollars server...

I believe there is, but the first few things tried to fix the server
didn't work. Sadly, this is not that unusual.