Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Samuel Thibault

Default Bits from the Release Team: Scheduling, transitions, how to help

Adam D. Barratt, le Thu 01 Apr 2010 09:57:12 +0200, a écrit :
> * GNU/kFreeBSD-*
> The release of these two new architectures looks promising, but they
> are still far away from full archive coverage. It seems that much
> could be gained by fixing some key packages.

What is the target BTW? Just remind a remark I made some time ago
(august 2008):

“in the Failed part of hurd-i386, 178 packages out of 1320 fail at
least because of inclusion of #include <linux/...> (there could be other
[packages of this type] hidden by other compilation problems). That's
2.29% of the 7748 packages in our wanna-build database!... And we still
have 1952 packages in the dep-wait state, a lot of them probably include
<linux/...> too...”

Some updated figures: now this is 220 packages out of 1404 failed, out
of total 8560, which thus makes 2.33%. On top of that, 31 (0.31%) can be
added that use <asm/types.h>.

So in a word it could be estimated that at least 5% of the packages do
some #include <linux/...> already. Of course there are a lot more other
kinds of issues. That's why I'm afraid just fixing some key packages
won't be enough, all maintainers should get involved.

Samuel

Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
"Francesco P. Lovergine"

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:57:12AM +0200, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> * Tcl/Tk 8.4/8.5
> Tcl 8.3 will be replaced by newer versions. This transition is
> currently staged in experimental.

Note that this will imply soon a good bounce of NMUs for experimental.
If your packages depends directly or indirectly on Tcl/Tk or Expect,
- just to cite major packages - you have to expect some third-parties
strange and suspect activities :-) in experimental and possibly
bug reportings.

Note that plans imply dropping multi-thread support for 8.4 and
moving all stalling packages to use 8.4, as minimum requirement
or die.

Be warned ;-)

--
Francesco P. Lovergine