Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Default Advice needed on howto take care about /usr/share/pyshared/scikits

Dear Debianizers,

NB. I have asked similar question at debian-python [1] but had no
replies, so re-posting to -devel now

I am ITPing python-scikits-learn and possibly few other python-scikits-*
packages in the future. All of the packages would have 1 peculiarity,
they all would rely on having

$> cat /usr/share/pyshared/scikits/__init__.py
__import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__na me__)

As a resolution I am planing to package some silly Debian-native
(there is no per se the upstream for this single file) package

python-scikits-common

which would provide that base directory with __init__.py

Am I missing possible other alternative (I think that unpleasant and evil
diverts, or inappropriate for this case alternatives aren't real choices
here, right)?

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2010/03/msg00034.html

--
.-.
=------------------------------ /v ----------------------------=

Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Matthias Klose

NB. I have asked similar question at debian-python [1] but had no
replies, so re-posting to -devel now

I am ITPing python-scikits-learn and possibly few other python-scikits-*
packages in the future. All of the packages would have 1 peculiarity,
they all would rely on having

$> cat /usr/share/pyshared/scikits/__init__.py
__import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__na me__)

As a resolution I am planing to package some silly Debian-native
(there is no per se the upstream for this single file) package

python-scikits-common

which would provide that base directory with __init__.py

This is a simple, robust way of packaging this file. You don't need to package
this as a separate source, usually it can be built as a separate binary from
some source which is common to all of these packages (as e.g. done in
zope.interface). Or include it in a package which is needed as a dependency of
all these python-scikits-* packages.

Am I missing possible other alternative (I think that unpleasant and evil
diverts, or inappropriate for this case alternatives aren't real choices
here, right)?

diversions only work if there is exactly one package diverting a file.
Alternatives are a possibility, but afaik not yet used for this purpose. It
would be nice if dpkg comes up with a declarative way of describing
alternatives. Other ways of providing/creating this file at installation time
should not be used.

Upstream is aware of the problem, http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0382/, but
still lacks an implementation.

Matthias

Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Thank you Matthias!

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010, Matthias Klose wrote:
> This is a simple, robust way of packaging this file. You don't need
> to package this as a separate source, usually it can be built as a
> separate binary from some source which is common to all of these
> packages (as e.g. done in zope.interface). Or include it in a
> package which is needed as a dependency of all these
> python-scikits-* packages.
Well, there is no common package which would also be
scikits-aware. Of cause I could request python-scipy maintainers to
include it since scikits is kinda extensions to scipy... probably will
do that thanks again

--
.-.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Upstream is aware of the problem,
> http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0382/, but still lacks an
> implementation.

Apparently (thanks to a reminder from Josselin) it seems I am fine
shipping NO scikits/__init__.py at all pysupport would take care
about creating a "blank" one if necessary, and since all scikits/*
installed from packages would be installed under the same path -
explicit namespace declaration isn't necessary for them. IFF a user has
some other scikits/* in his PYTHONPATH, then indeed he should take care
about having magic __init__.py in those -- and then it seems to
work fine again (according to my initial testing).

Thanks once again!
--
.-.