Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Paul Wise

Default Hardware trouble ries.debian.org - ftpmaster.debian.org / release.d.o services disabled

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12065 March 1977, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> ries.debian.org, the host behind ftp-master.debian.org, has hardware
>> trouble, a failed memory module keeps resetting the machine at random
>> intervals.
>
>> Will send a notice when service is back to normal.
>
> And another update for you all out there, waiting:
>
> After several ping-pongs the support finally understood that no round of
> firmware updates, changing slots of the DIMMs and trying whatever does
> not help, so we are now waiting for a new mainboard to arrive, as well
> as a technician. The current timeline lets us assume this is done, latest,
> day after tomorrow, please be patient. Will keep you updated when status
> changes.
>
> The backup plan still is moving this service to another machine. This
> hasn't been done yet for various reasons. One of them is simply that it
> took a little longer to move the remaining services away from it, but
> also the amount of work included.
>
> Now, should the technician not be able to resurrect ries, our backup
> plan extends to have the disks shipped over and replace the ones
> currently in rietz.

I'm wondering if Debian has the resources (DSA, local admins and
hardware) to have a hot-swappable backup machine for ftpmaster, since
it does go down occasionally and when it does the downtime is fairly
disruptive to Debian.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Paul Wise

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> The only trouble this setup has is that you have a pretty huge expensive
> machine always on and running, but not actually doing stuff for
> 99.999999999999% of the time. And usually the support pack we ordered
> provides a service that means getting machine back faster than this, so
> the question in the end is: Do we want the added complexity (and costs),
> or can we just stand a day or three of downtime? Its annoying, but world
> doesnt really die.

Hmmm, OK. There don't seem to be any other machines hosted in the same
place so having another machine that is used for other stuff most of
the time and also as a backup ftp-master during outages wouldn't work,
for now at least.