Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Pierre Habouzit

Default About dpkg-shlibdeps checks

On ven, nov 23, 2007 at 10:14:51 +0000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > does your plan include having a version of the dpkg-shlibdeps that
> > works in "warning-mode" only so that we can have a more extensive idea
> > of how the things are going to be, before it stops the development of
> > the biggest and already hardest packages to maintain out there ?
>
> The --ignore-missing-info flag has been added for this purpose from the
> beginning.

It needs to be activated by the maintainers, which is intrusive. That
should be the default behavior for the coming weeks. And then changed
when some carefully chosen targets have been migrated from top to
bottom.

But forcing every maintainer that probably had an agenda for their
package already, to comply to yours without even knowing what's coming
is at the very least tactless and disruptive.

Any change of that magnitude has to come in step by step, inch by
inch. I'm really serious here, I believe that the current behavior of
dpkg-shlibdeps is premature, and that it needs a progressive and
incremental introduction.

--
O Pierre Habouzit
O madcoder@debian.org