Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Alex Samad

Default Help With Custom Deb Package

Hi

I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
corresponding configuration files.

I am guessing this has been thought of before but haven't seen anything for it,
so I thought I would come to the list (tried debian-user first but realised
that might have been the wrong place to ask the question)

I am having a look at debhelper, debian policy and maint-guide.
for example for server test.acme.com

I was going to create a package test.acme.com and making it dependant on the
required packages (I can specific a base minimum).

Any one else done this, what hurdles might I face ? How am i going to handle 2
packages owning a file, for example for bind and my custom package and the file
/etc/bind/named.conf ???

I have come across the replaces option for file handling I think, although now
I am thinking that i should really just replace the files in the postinst
scripts, after backing up the files into /var/backup

My other thought aswell is that i need to use pre-depends on all the packages
that I want, so that they are in place and configured before my packages tried
to do any thing ?

Comments/ thoughts ?

Alex