FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Tourneur Henry-Nicolas
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: "Tourneur Henry-Nicolas" <henry.nicolas@tourneur.be>


* Package name : tacacs+
Version : 4.0.4.19
Upstream Author : Shrubbery
* URL : http://www.shrubbery.net/tac_plus/
* License : No license, only a copyright file
Programming Lang: C
Description : TACACS+ authentication daemon

TACACS+ is a protocol (not TACACS or XTACACS) for authentication,
authorization and accounting (AAA) services for routers and network devices.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Tollef Fog Heen
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

]] Tourneur Henry-Nicolas

| * License : No license, only a copyright file

Surely that makes it illegal for us to distribute?

--
Tollef Fog Heen
UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Guus Sliepen
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:37:08AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> ]] Tourneur Henry-Nicolas
>
> | * License : No license, only a copyright file
>
> Surely that makes it illegal for us to distribute?

Actually, it does have a license, which is in the COPYING file and at the top
of all the source code files:

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for
any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that this
copyright and permission notice appear on all copies of the
software and supporting documentation, the name of Cisco Systems,
Inc. not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
distribution of the program without specific prior permission, and
notice be given in supporting documentation that modification,
copying and distribution is by permission of Cisco Systems, Inc.

I think this can be distributed in the non-free section?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>
 
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Henry-Nicolas Tourneur
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

"Tollef Fog Heen" <tfheen@err.no> Ecrivait:
> ]] Tourneur Henry-Nicolas
>
> | * License : No license, only a copyright file
>
> Surely that makes it illegal for us to distribute?
>
> --
> Tollef Fog Heen
> UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are
>
>
>
Yeah but what Craig Small said on mentors is that looks very much like a MIT
license - see COPYING file.
His mail is here :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/02/msg00027.html


So it's more some kind of errors from my side because that wasn't very
clear.
Should I update this bug to put MIT-like as license ?

TIA.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Guus Sliepen
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:06:28AM +0100, Henry-Nicolas Tourneur wrote:

> > | * License : No license, only a copyright file
> >
> > Surely that makes it illegal for us to distribute?
> >
> Yeah but what Craig Small said on mentors is that looks very much like a MIT
> license - see COPYING file.
> His mail is here :
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/02/msg00027.html

But, that's still a license. But look carefully, it says "without fee" in the
license. I don't know if that means "you can use it without paying anyone" or
"you can only redistribute it if you don't charge anyone".

> So it's more some kind of errors from my side because that wasn't very
> clear.
> Should I update this bug to put MIT-like as license ?

It's better to include the whole license if it isn't exactly equal to a
standard license.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>
 
Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Henry-Nicolas Tourneur
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

"Guus Sliepen" <guus@debian.org> Ecrivait:

>> So it's more some kind of errors from my side because that wasn't very
>> clear.
>> Should I update this bug to put MIT-like as license ?
>
> It's better to include the whole license if it isn't exactly equal to a
> standard license.
>

I'll update the package tonight (GMT+1 hour) as I'm currently at work - I
don't have all the needed things (and also fix lintian warning btw).

Should I do something particular about that license matter ? except
providing the COPYING file within the packages ?

TIA.
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
> Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

On Feb 03, Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org> wrote:

> But, that's still a license. But look carefully, it says "without fee" in the
> license. I don't know if that means "you can use it without paying anyone" or
> "you can only redistribute it if you don't charge anyone".
The first meaning is the one widely accepted and used for other Debian
packages with similar terms.

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Matt Zagrabelny
 
Default Bug#568161: ITP: tacacs+ -- TACACS+ authentication daemon

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 11:01 +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:37:08AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> > ]] Tourneur Henry-Nicolas
> >
> > | * License : No license, only a copyright file
> >
> > Surely that makes it illegal for us to distribute?
>
> Actually, it does have a license, which is in the COPYING file and at the top
> of all the source code files:
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for
> any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that this
> copyright and permission notice appear on all copies of the
> software and supporting documentation, the name of Cisco Systems,
> Inc. not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
> distribution of the program without specific prior permission, and
> notice be given in supporting documentation that modification,
> copying and distribution is by permission of Cisco Systems, Inc.
>
> I think this can be distributed in the non-free section?

The old version of this package was distributed in main.

$ apt-cache policy tac-plus
tac-plus:
Installed: 1:4.0.4.alpha-14.2
Candidate: 1:4.0.4.alpha-14.2
Version table:
*** 1:4.0.4.alpha-14.2 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1:4.0.4.alpha-14 0
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org oldstable/main Packages


--
Matt Zagrabelny - mzagrabe@d.umn.edu - (218) 726 8844
University of Minnesota Duluth
Information Technology Systems & Services
PGP key 4096R/42A00942 2009-12-16
Fingerprint: 5814 2CCE 2383 2991 83FF C899 07E2 BFA8 42A0 0942

He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot
lose.
-Jim Elliot
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org