Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Benjamin Drung

Default Binary package names for mozilla plugins

Am Montag, den 26.04.2010, 23:58 +0200 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> >> I think *-bwoser[-]plugin is a bad choice for 2 reasons (which you can
> >> consider one reason):
> >>
> >> A) apt-get install browser<tab><tab>
> >>
> >> This will complete nicely to give me a list of plugins with options 1
> >> and 2 and all the packages it completes have a common use case, to make
> >> my browser better. No such thing with options 3 and 4.
> >>
> >> B) Sorting in frontends (aptitude, ...)
> >>
> >> Again say you are looking for usefull plugins to add to your
> >> browser. With options 1 and 2 you get all the plugins in one blog and
> >> can easily scroll through them. With options 3 and 4 they will be
> >> scattered all over the place.
> >>

> >> I think the seperate groups formed by a common prefix in options 3 and 4
> >> would be much smaller and less usefull to users than having all browser
> >> plugins in one block.
> >>
> >> MfG Goswin
> >>

> > I think, 3 and 4 are the better choices than 1 or 2. IMO, the best choice
> > might be 4. Let me just explain why:
> >
> > If people are looikng for something, they first look, what application it is in
> > for. Browser plugins might be available for iceweasel, konqueror, opera
> > whatever. So, the first choice is "iceweasel-", then what is it? Yes, it is for
> > the "-browser", and at last, they see, yes, a "-plugin".
> >
> > I also imagine, that in the future, there might be iceweasel-"sound"-plugins,
> > "video"-plugins, "flash"-plugins or whatever. I also imagine, there might be
> > also not only plugins, but "tools", or maybe "modules".
>
> By that reasoning you are advocating:
>
> 5. browser-*-plugin
>
> That would also work for apt-get install browser<tab><tab>

Ok, I added it to the poll, but i doubt that it will win against
browser-plugin-*.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)

Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Mike Hommey

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:03:54AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Ok, I added it to the poll, but i doubt that it will win against
> browser-plugin-*.

Really, this is getting out of proportion. How about we don't care and
try to improve searching by debtags in the various apt frontends? (if
that ever needs to be improved)

Mike

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Benjamin Drung

Hi,

after some days the poll [1] has been a clear result. browser-plugin-*
has won with a huge winning margin.

[1] http://www.doodle.com/guafbbhipwskzr8a