FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Benjamin Drung
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Hi,

This mail targets all developers, which maintain Mozilla extensions.

Source package name
===================

The source package name for extension should not contain the name of the
enhanced application. These prefixes should be dropped from the source
name:

firefox-
iceape-
icedove-
iceweasel-
mozilla-
thunderbird-

If the remaining string is too generic (for example, notify or sage),
the source package name should append -extension. For example,
firefoxnotify was renamed to notify-extension.

Binary package name
===================

The Mozilla extension packaging team decided to use xul-ext- (instead of
mozilla-, iceweasel-, etc.) as prefix for all Mozilla extensions [1].
This will group the extensions visually. There are currently 18
extensions that use this naming scheme already. Please rename the binary
package if not already done.

Use mozilla-devscripts
======================

To make packaging extensions dead simple we have mozilla-devscripts. In
most cases debian/rules can be reduces to three or four lines (shebang,
two includes and maybe one variable). We highly recommend using it. An
additional benefit of using mozilla-devscripts is that derived
distribution can use the source code without modifying it.
mozilla-devscripts take care of the distributions specialities. The
usage is explained in the Wiki [2].

Joining our team
================

You are welcome to join our team. We maintain all packages in git in the
pkg-mozext group. You can contact us via email or IRC [3]. Please let us
know, if you need help implementing the above mentioned items.

Work needing package
====================

Here is a list of source package that need to updated. Please let me
know, if I missed some packages.

beagle
biofox
ctxextensions
diggler
firegpg
foxyproxy
icedove-attachmentreminder
icedove-gcontactsync
icedove-quotecolors
iceweasel-downthemall
imagezoom
livehttpheaders
mozilla-dom-inspector
mozilla-noscript
mozvoikko
nostalgy
nukeimage
vimperator

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Mozilla/ExtensionsPolicy
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/mozilla-devscripts
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMozExtTeam

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)
 
Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Thilo Six
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Benjamin Drung wrote the following on 01.02.2010 20:34

Hello

I would like to ask 2 question as user regarding your proposal.

-- <snip> --


> Binary package name
> ===================
>
> The Mozilla extension packaging team decided to use xul-ext- (instead of
> mozilla-, iceweasel-, etc.) as prefix for all Mozilla extensions [1].
> This will group the extensions visually. There are currently 18
> extensions that use this naming scheme already. Please rename the binary
> package if not already done.

-- <snip> --

> Joining our team
> ================
>
> You are welcome to join our team. We maintain all packages in git in the
> pkg-mozext group. You can contact us via email or IRC [3]. Please let us
> know, if you need help implementing the above mentioned items.

Question 1:
You propose to use the prefix "xul-ext-" which is more generic i guess but
the itself is called "pkg-mozext".
Is that "moz" in the team name for historic reasons? Or is it planed to
rename it "pkg-xul-ext" Team?
It just sounds strange because these two are contradictory to your proposal.

> Work needing package
> ====================
>
> Here is a list of source package that need to updated. Please let me
> know, if I missed some packages.
>
> beagle
> biofox
> ctxextensions
> diggler
> firegpg
> foxyproxy
> icedove-attachmentreminder
> icedove-gcontactsync
> icedove-quotecolors

2nd question:
In the good old days (when ever these were) someone like a short sighted
person like me could search via apt or aptitude for *compatible* extentions
to his application.
Now does it mean, that all those xulrunner based apps can make use the same
extensions?
e.g. does ist make sens to use "xul-ext-quotecolors" with iceweasle?

Realy i don't get so please explain a bit more deeply.

regards
--
bye Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6 7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
James Vega
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Thilo Six <T.Six@gmx.de> wrote:
> Benjamin Drung wrote the following on 01.02.2010 20:34
>> icedove-quotecolors
>
> 2nd question:
> In the good old days (when ever these were) someone like a short sighted
> person like me could search via apt or aptitude for *compatible* extentions
> to his application.
> Now does it mean, that all those xulrunner based apps can make use the same
> extensions?
> e.g. does ist make sens to use "xul-ext-quotecolors" with iceweasle?

It does make sense to use xul-ext-quotecolors with iceape, even though
the current package forces icedove usage.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Benjamin Drung
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Am Montag, den 01.02.2010, 21:34 +0100 schrieb Thilo Six:
> Question 1:
> You propose to use the prefix "xul-ext-" which is more generic i guess but
> the itself is called "pkg-mozext".
> Is that "moz" in the team name for historic reasons?

Yes, it's only for historic reasons.

> Or is it planed to rename it "pkg-xul-ext" Team?

There is currently no plans to rename the team, but it's worth thinking
about it. What do the other team member think about it?

> 2nd question:
> In the good old days (when ever these were) someone like a short sighted
> person like me could search via apt or aptitude for *compatible* extentions
> to his application.
> Now does it mean, that all those xulrunner based apps can make use the same
> extensions?
> e.g. does ist make sens to use "xul-ext-quotecolors" with iceweasle?

The extension must support the xulrunner based apps. quotecolors will
support the same amount of xulrunner based apps after the rename.
According to upstream it does not work with iceweasel.

> Realy i don't get so please explain a bit more deeply.

When using mozilla-devscripts, the extension will enhance the supported
xulrunner apps and provide xulapt-extname. In the case of
xul-ext-quotecolors, it will enhance icedove and provide
icedove-quotecolors. So are still able to run "apt-get install
icedove-quotecolors" or "apt-get install iceweasel-adblock-plus".

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)
 
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Benjamin Drung
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Am Montag, den 01.02.2010, 15:48 -0500 schrieb James Vega:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Thilo Six <T.Six@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Benjamin Drung wrote the following on 01.02.2010 20:34
> >> icedove-quotecolors
> >
> > 2nd question:
> > In the good old days (when ever these were) someone like a short sighted
> > person like me could search via apt or aptitude for *compatible* extentions
> > to his application.
> > Now does it mean, that all those xulrunner based apps can make use the same
> > extensions?
> > e.g. does ist make sens to use "xul-ext-quotecolors" with iceweasle?
>
> It does make sense to use xul-ext-quotecolors with iceape, even though
> the current package forces icedove usage.

With mozilla-devscripts, the package would recommend "icedove | iceape"
on Debian (and "thunderbird | seamonkey" on Ubuntu). So you wouldn't be
forced to install icedove.
 
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Thilo Six
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Benjamin Drung wrote the following on 01.02.2010 21:50


Thanks both Benjamin and James for your replys.
I gone a live with it.

--
bye Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6 7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Mike Hommey
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:34:31PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This mail targets all developers, which maintain Mozilla extensions.
>
> Source package name
> ===================
>
> The source package name for extension should not contain the name of the
> enhanced application. These prefixes should be dropped from the source
> name:
>
> firefox-
> iceape-
> icedove-
> iceweasel-
> mozilla-
> thunderbird-
>
> If the remaining string is too generic (for example, notify or sage),
> the source package name should append -extension. For example,
> firefoxnotify was renamed to notify-extension.

I don't remember this has been discussed, and i certainly disagree with
this naming scheme. Also, existing extensions sources shouldn't be renamed.

> Binary package name
> ===================
>
> The Mozilla extension packaging team decided to use xul-ext- (instead of
> mozilla-, iceweasel-, etc.) as prefix for all Mozilla extensions [1].
> This will group the extensions visually. There are currently 18
> extensions that use this naming scheme already. Please rename the binary
> package if not already done.

Note the policy proposal has not been updated with the latest
propositions (for which i was hoping more feedback, btw). See the team
list archives.

> Use mozilla-devscripts
> ======================
>
> To make packaging extensions dead simple we have mozilla-devscripts. In
> most cases debian/rules can be reduces to three or four lines (shebang,
> two includes and maybe one variable). We highly recommend using it. An
> additional benefit of using mozilla-devscripts is that derived
> distribution can use the source code without modifying it.
> mozilla-devscripts take care of the distributions specialities. The
> usage is explained in the Wiki [2].
>
> Joining our team
> ================
>
> You are welcome to join our team. We maintain all packages in git in the
> pkg-mozext group. You can contact us via email or IRC [3]. Please let us
> know, if you need help implementing the above mentioned items.
>
> Work needing package
> ====================
>
> Here is a list of source package that need to updated. Please let me
> know, if I missed some packages.

I have a lintian check that checks most of the policy, except it was
written before lintian 2.3 and doesn't work anymore. If someone has the
time to update the script before me, I'll send it to them.

Mike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike Hommey
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:11:07PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> 2010/2/2 Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org>:
> > On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:34:31PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This mail targets all developers, which maintain Mozilla extensions.
> >>
> >> Source package name
> >> ===================
> >>
> >> The source package name for extension should not contain the name of the
> >> enhanced application. These prefixes should be dropped from the source
> >> name:
> >>
> >> firefox-
> >> iceape-
> >> icedove-
> >> iceweasel-
> >> mozilla-
> >> thunderbird-
> >>
> >> If the remaining string is too generic (for example, notify or sage),
> >> the source package name should append -extension. For example,
> >> firefoxnotify was renamed to notify-extension.
> >
> > I don't remember this has been discussed, and i certainly disagree with
> > this naming scheme. Also, existing extensions sources shouldn't be renamed.
>
> Yes, we only discussed binary names. The same rules apply for source
> package names. Why should Debian have a source package with firefox in
> its name (for example, firefox-notify) and why should Ubuntu have a
> source package with icedove in its name (for example,
> icedove-quotecolors)? This would be similar to the python name scheme.
> For example the source package matplotlib provides the binary package
> python-matplotlib.

I for one think the source should be named with the upstream name.
firefox-notify is the upstream name, I don't see why there would be a
need to change that, even if the name is lame.

> >> Binary package name
> >> ===================
> >>
> >> The Mozilla extension packaging team decided to use xul-ext- (instead of
> >> mozilla-, iceweasel-, etc.) as prefix for all Mozilla extensions [1].
> >> This will group the extensions visually. There are currently 18
> >> extensions that use this naming scheme already. Please rename the binary
> >> package if not already done.
> >
> > Note the policy proposal has not been updated with the latest
> > propositions (for which i was hoping more feedback, btw). See the team
> > list archives.
>
> I read the archives. There are still some parts of the policy proposal
> that needs more discussion (for example the directory question). The
> binary naming part was discussed and we reached the consensus that
> using xul-ext- as prefix is the lesser of the two evils, didn't we?

Yes, but as said in one of my messages there, there are exceptions we
may want to grant, for localizations, for example.

> >> Use mozilla-devscripts
> >> ======================
> >>
> >> To make packaging extensions dead simple we have mozilla-devscripts. In
> >> most cases debian/rules can be reduces to three or four lines (shebang,
> >> two includes and maybe one variable). We highly recommend using it. An
> >> additional benefit of using mozilla-devscripts is that derived
> >> distribution can use the source code without modifying it.
> >> mozilla-devscripts take care of the distributions specialities. The
> >> usage is explained in the Wiki [2].
> >>
> >> Joining our team
> >> ================
> >>
> >> You are welcome to join our team. We maintain all packages in git in the
> >> pkg-mozext group. You can contact us via email or IRC [3]. Please let us
> >> know, if you need help implementing the above mentioned items.
> >>
> >> Work needing package
> >> ====================
> >>
> >> Here is a list of source package that need to updated. Please let me
> >> know, if I missed some packages.
> >
> > I have a lintian check that checks most of the policy, except it was
> > written before lintian 2.3 and doesn't work anymore. If someone has the
> > time to update the script before me, I'll send it to them.
>
> What will be checked by that?

The current tags are:
Tag: xul-extension-wrong-package-name
Tag: xul-extension-missing-provides
Tag: xul-extension-missing-enhances
Tag: xul-extension-in-application-directory
Tag: xul-chrome-in-application-directory
Tag: xpcom-component-in-application-directory
Tag: non-extension-or-plugin-in-mozilla-directory
Tag: plugin-in-application-directory
Tag: xul-extension-incompatible-with-iceape-before-2-0
Tag: file-in-deprecated-var-lib-application-chrome.d
Tag: file-in-deprecated-var-lib-application-extension.d
Tag: deprecated-extension-uninstall
Tag: xpcom-standalone-glue-without-xulrunner-dependency
Tag: contains-xulrunner-stub

Mike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Raphael Geissert
 
Default Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Mike Hommey wrote:
>
> I have a lintian check that checks most of the policy, except it was
> written before lintian 2.3 and doesn't work anymore. If someone has the
> time to update the script before me, I'll send it to them.

If your plan is to get it into lintian itself (and I wouldn't see any reason
not to do it,) please send it to the BTS (including test cases under t/tests
would be great).

FWIW, the necessary changes to make it work can be found at:
http://bugs.debian.org/562776

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org